Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hello, I'm a Ford noob so...

YRoryGoch

Evening all, just bought a 2009 Focus Zetec S, this is the first Ford I have owned. It seems ok, but I have questions!
First was going to be a clunk at about 10mph or so but the common problems thread enlightened me for that one, nice work.
Next is road noise, particularly at the back. I am going to assume it is down to tyres, it's on 18" wheels and I jacked the back end up and I couldn't detect any play.
Which leads into the next item, camber is a bit off on the NSR wheel, enough to affect tyre wear, I am going to replace all the rear arms in the new year because they are heading towards excessive corrosion, but in the meantime are there any suggestions regarding the camber/tyre wear?
I drove it home in the dark when I bought it on Monday and noticed the headlights dim momentarily when I turned the heated screen on, is this common or should I keep an eye on the alternator.
How reliable is this capless fuel filler? I'm not going to be finding large vapour leak codes in the future, am I?
Can any body explain the bluetooth calls thing to me? I paired my phone and haven't yet manage to make a call on it.
And finally drum brakes on the back? sheesh I haven't drum brakes on a car since about 1999, if I find some brackets and calipers etc will the ABS system be happy with my changing it to rear disks?

Partial answer. Momentary dimming when putting front screen on is normal. Capless fuel filler doesn’t seem to cause any problems. Nothing wrong with drum rear brakes unless you are taking it racing. 

• Like 4

On 10/12/2022 at 5:22 PM, YRoryGoch said:

Can any body explain the bluetooth calls thing to me?

Mine works OK most of the time.  Do you see the battery level and signal strength displayed on the dashbord?

You can convert the rear drums to Disc's there is a guide on here somewhere. I have most of the parts and will be doing it at some point as I have some ST wheels to refurbish and I think they will look a little silly with being able to see the drums at the rear. 

On 10/13/2022 at 11:09 PM, alanfp said:

Mine works OK most of the time.  Do you see the battery level and signal strength displayed on the dashbord?

No? I can use the BT to call if I dial manually, the voice command dialling seems to want 13 digits not 11 lol.

1 hour ago, stevejwalford said:

You can convert the rear drums to Disc's there is a guide on here somewhere. I have most of the parts and will be doing it at some point as I have some ST wheels to refurbish and I think they will look a little silly with being able to see the drums at the rear. 

Yeah this has got 18s on, not sure if factory fit, they look like Older Mondeo ST wheels. Aesthetics aside, braking performance is always better with 4 discs.

8 hours ago, YRoryGoch said:

No? I can use the BT to call if I dial manually, the voice command dialling seems to want 13 digits not 11 lol.

Yeah this has got 18s on, not sure if factory fit, they look like Older Mondeo ST wheels. Aesthetics aside, braking performance is always better with 4 discs.

Yeah the ones I have are 18 to, I have been putting off getting them refurbished until after I get the drums converted to discs.

189612927_2864501373813858_7124937660655604712_n.jpg

9 hours ago, YRoryGoch said:

Sorry, just realised that your car is the previous model to mine, so you might not get that display.  I was trying to work out if your phone had paired, but it sounds as though it has. 

I wonder if the 13 digits it wants are +44 instead of the first zero???  But I'm guessing..

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2022 at 5:22 PM, YRoryGoch said:

Next is road noise, particularly at the back. I am going to assume it is down to tyres, it's on 18" wheels and I jacked the back end up and I couldn't detect any play.

I've got a MK3 with 17" wheels and the road noise is noticeable particularly on motorways at higher speeds, I think this is down to lack of insulation in the rear end of the car generally.

I've started to partially address this issue by putting additional insulation in the back of the car in the bootspace. When I sealed up the rear vents I packed the rear quarter voids with insulation and I've also now put carpet underlay in the void spaces of the boot liner insert above the spare wheel. I'll see if I can get you a pic over the weekend.

Try also contacting Silent Coat about sound deadening / insulation. They'll give you some good advice then it's a choice between DIY options and off the shelf solutions. I'll probably end up with a mixture of the two.

Hope that helps.

12 hours ago, Acid House 1988 said:

When I sealed up the rear vents I packed the rear quarter voids with insulation

Those vents are part of the ventilation system so there should be airflow through the voids behind. If you've filled that space with insulation it's going to restrict or block that airflow.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club