Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Best Polish

Hostahousey

What do you consider the best polish for your Ford ? I use a different ones, like Mer and  Pink Devil, 

anything with Carnuba that buff off easily and is cheap

1 hour ago, Hostahousey said:

What do you consider the best polish for your Ford ? I use a different ones, like Mer and  Pink Devil, 

Polish or Wax?

anyone use a polisher to buff theirs, if so what make and how to use

I use mer because I bought a big bottle of it at least 30 years ago and it’s not yet finished. I don’t do much polishing .  Wonder if the formula is the same now?  Any good stuff in it might have been outlawed - like you can’t get decent paint stripper any more and hammerite is not as good as it was, but I haven’t finished my 30 year old 2.5 litre tin of black hammerite yet. It’s nearly all gone , it goes a bit gooey and needs a drop of cellulose thinners. Tin looks like it’s about to rust through. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, isetta said:

I use mer because I bought a big bottle of it at least 30 years ago and it’s not yet finished. 

Lol, I've got a big container of it which I must have had as long. I used to use it on my motorbikes but now its up at our caravan to give it (and the car) an occasional polish and still loads left. You're probably right about good stuff being outlawed, seeing they've mucked up Kit Kat and Mars bars as well!

I've used Meguiars and Autoglym polish and wax and found them ok. Also Zymol wax which gives a long lasting finish but takes a lot of time to apply properly.

1 hour ago, isetta said:

I use mer because I bought a big bottle of it at least 30 years ago and it’s not yet finished...

I had a giggle at this. I bought a 1 liter container of this stuff at the 1998 Ulster Car Show! It followed a demonstration of the guy setting fire to a car bonnet after applying it! I still have some left, I wonder if there is an expiry date? 

Autoglym super resin polish and Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

clay bar after washing then apy super resin polish...buff...then EGP over top 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 59bhp said:

Clay bar after washing then apy super resin polish...buff...then EGP over top 

How do you Buff and what with 59bhp ?

Had a laugh at the bonnet fire on earlier post, that's what got me onto Mer

Remove the super resin polish with a cloth, you buff...with a buffing cloth. Wax on, wax off like in the Karate Kid film. 

17 hours ago, 59bhp said:

Clay bar after washing then apy super resin polish...buff...then EGP over top 

Exactly what I used to do on my previous cars, except the clay bar because it wasn't a thing back then. (that I was aware of).

I've had my current car for 9 years now and had it professionally polished and a ceramic sealant ( Gtechniq C1) applied as it always seemd dull after a wash (was 2 and a 1/2 years old when I bought it), even after a hand polish with the above mentioned Autoglym SRP. See 50/50 image of the paint. Since then I only ever use Gtecniq C2 or Soft99 Fusso Coat. 

Maintaining the paint is important too as I don't want to introduce micro scratches and swirls, as in the 50/50 image, so snow foam and then wash with 2 bucket method using a wash mitt and rinse with filtered water (De-ionised water through a DI Vessel, like what window cleaners use), then dry with a microfibre towel and pat dry as much as I can.

Sometimes I have to 'polish' out light scuff marks with Autoglym SRP or use a DA polishing machine and Scholl Concepts S20 Black (after decontamination process of course). Then protect the area with C2. 

Use Mer Wheel Wax on my 2 sets of alloys (Summer/Winter), not tried anything else there as the bottle is lasting years! 🤣. Also the same with the C2 and Fusso Coat, no point in getting anything else until they are used up.

Of course I never take the car to a car wash of any type nor hand wash places. And always told the dealer to not wash my car whenever it went in for a service. ( I have a 'do not wash' sign too 😉 )

10562675_906256162749389_4949116835639998490_o.jpg

DSC02457.jpg

• Like 2