Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie needing advice. Focus 1.0ltr eco boost or 1.6 diesel.

Supertrev

Hi Everyone,

I am a 68 year old 2009 Jaguar XJ TDi owner and I need a car with lower running costs.

I don't usually take long journeys, just usually out for an afternoon drive around the countryside.

I'm seriously considering buying a Focus and would appreciate any advice where good mpg and reliability is important. 

A 2013-2015 1.0ltr eco boost petrol 

Autotrader website mpg figures 44 urban, 67 extra urban and 56 combined.

Or

A 2013-2014 1.6ltr tdci diesel.

Autotrader website mpg figures 55 urban, 76 extra urban and 67 combined but of course diesel local Sainsbury is 60p per gallon more.

What should I look out for and / or be aware of, thanks.

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

Don't know if you've had time for a good look around yet but similar questions have been asked many times.

One important point to note is a 1.0 Ecoboost is due a cambelt change at 10 years which is a very expensive procedure on these engines (we have seen main dealer quotes of £1700).

• Like 1

Hello Trevor, you will get lots of conflicting opinions on the subject. The matter of the 1.0 Ecoboost engine and it's reliability (or lack of) is a frequently debated topic on this and many other forums. If you're considering a 2013 model then you are most likely going to have to pay to get the wet timing belt replaced, which as Roger has said is going to cost around £1700.

Since you are already a diesel driver my thoughts would be to go with the 1.6 diesel engine. Yes the fuel is slightly more expensive but in terms of overall running costs it will be cheaper.

• Like 3

Thank you Eric and Unofix for your fast response, very helpful and I will check out the 1.6 diesel live link.

Supertrev.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again everyone,

I read through the live link that Eric posted and it seems the 1.6tdi 8v Focus is the way to go and just wondering that when I search for one, how do I tell the difference between the troublesome 16v mk2 and the 8v mk3 please. 

Thanks.

Trevor.

One thing to be aware of is that a diesel of the age you are looking at will be fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in the exhaust.

Vehicles with a DPF are not really suited to gentle short runs, as the filter blocks up causing expensive repairs.

Unless the car will get driven quite hard occasionally for a fair distance, you might be better off going for a petrol car.

3 hours ago, Supertrev said:

how do I tell the difference between the troublesome 16v mk2 and the 8v mk3 please. 

I think the earlier thread made clear that the Mk 3 had the better engine? Or are you asking how to differentiate between a Mk 2 and Mk 3? Mk 3 in white, Mk 2 in silver below. As the Mk 3 was launched in 2011 you shouldn't come across a Mk 2 anyway in the age range you mentioned.

220px-Ford_Focus_Trend_(III)_–_Frontansicht,_17._September_2011,_Ratingen.jpg

2008_Ford_Focus_Zetec_TD_109_1.6_Front.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Alan and Eric.

Alan, My Jaguar has a DPF and I understand about short, gentle journeys causing problems. My Jaguar is taken for a run often along the A5 at 55mph with cruise control on and luckily no problems in 2.5 years.

Eric, I can see that the MK3 has a different front bottom bumper thingy with a triangular air intake so easily recognised.

Thanks both once again.

Trevor.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hi again Guys,
I've found a nice 2013 1.6tdi, mk3 Focus with manual transmission for £4,495.
I'm wondering how realistic are the quoted mpg figures for this year and model, thanks.

Trevor.

Urban
55.40 mpg
Extra Urban
76.40 mpg
Combined
67.30 mpg

Will totally depend on driving style and times, traffic conditions etc.

I averaged 55-60mpg combined in mine.  Never saw more than 60mpg over a tankful.

Thanks TomsFocus,

Very helpful.

Supertrev.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club