Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Focus ZF 8 speed auto gearbox service

Stuart147

Hi. New to the forum so be gentle. I have a 2018 Focus MK4 1.5  diesel with the ZF 8 speed auto gearbox.  I have tried phoning several dealers regarding the service requirements of these gearboxes but have so far drawn a blank. Surely, like the power shift auto gearbox there is a requirement to change the oil/filter in the ZF equivalent at specific mileages or years.

Hi Stuart,

It's not a ZF box, far from it, it's a Ford box.

According to service recommendations it's sealed for life, but I would recommend changing the fluid every 40,000 miles or so.

Just undo the drain plug on the box, drain out the fluid, measure how much came out and replace that amount with new fluid.

You will just need Ford to tell you what the fluid is (though it may be on a label on the box somewhere), but it's probably Mercon LV

I would imagine the level check plug is on the side of the box, access gained from the LH fron wheel arch.

Fluid needs to be warm and car needs to be level to drain, refill and check.

Once you've replaced what you took out, drive the car for about 5 miles to get the fluid around and warm then recheck level and top up

1 hour ago, Stuart147 said:

I have tried phoning several dealers regarding the service requirements of these gearboxes but have so far drawn a blank.

Did they say "it doesn't need a regular service"?

4 hours ago, alanfp said:

Did they say "it doesn't need a regular service"?

Thanks for the quick reply. I was told by one dealer that he could find no mention of gearbox as far forward as service 10. He didn’t look no further so the first posted reply about the gearbox being sealed for life sounds right. 

It's an 8f35 auto. I can't see a service interval either. 

The oil spec is 

Automatic Transmission Fluid Specification Part number Prefill Capacity *
Dry Transmission WSS-M2C949-A HU7J-M2C949-AA  8.45 qt (8 L)
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Yes likewise I have transit connect with 8 gear speed shift and dealership says doesn’t need servicing and sealed for life. Which I can’t agree with. I’ve phoned Ford customer care who say 8 litres of transmission fluid which can be replaced, but no guidance on service interval. They have left a message with their technical dept to return on this. It’s a bit of a black hole which is bad when you are trying to do the right thing to increase to service properly. Gear box seems super silky smooth gear change and very economical. I’ll return once I know more. I would have thought 40-50k prior to oil and filter change would be prudent to get rid of any wear particles in the oil and any degradation of the oil too. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:52 AM, Frank hall said:

Yes likewise I have transit connect with 8 gear speed shift and dealership says doesn’t need servicing and sealed for life. Which I can’t agree with. I’ve phoned Ford customer care who say 8 litres of transmission fluid which can be replaced, but no guidance on service interval. They have left a message with their technical dept to return on this. It’s a bit of a black hole which is bad when you are trying to do the right thing to increase to service properly. Gear box seems super silky smooth gear change and very economical. I’ll return once I know more. I would have thought 40-50k prior to oil and filter change would be prudent to get rid of any wear particles in the oil and any degradation of the oil too. 

You won't get 8 litres out, you'll be lucky to get 4 out. 

The 8 litres prefill is to fill the cooling system on initial start up

40,000 miles, drain and refill, there is no filter change as it's buried in the casing

The fluid in these goes quite black

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/26/2023 at 2:52 AM, Frank hall said:

Frank, I'm curious if you continue to find the shift characteristics of your Transit Connect to be really smooth. I have a Transit Connect with the 2.0L GDI engine and 8F35 transmission with about 20K miles on it, and it's never been what I would call "super silky smooth." Most upshifts are smooth, with some exceptions, but downshifts are rough and oddly timed, such that I find decelerating smoothly to a stop is difficult. But when I take it to my local Ford dealer, they tell me the behavior is normal. And online Transit Connect forums seem to corroborate that. But I can't help but wonder if it needs a software update, or the fluid level isn't right, or something...

3 hours ago, im4GMG said:

Frank, I'm curious if you continue to find the shift characteristics of your Transit Connect to be really smooth. I have a Transit Connect with the 2.0L GDI engine and 8F35 transmission with about 20K miles on it, and it's never been what I would call "super silky smooth." Most upshifts are smooth, with some exceptions, but downshifts are rough and oddly timed, such that I find decelerating smoothly to a stop is difficult. But when I take it to my local Ford dealer, they tell me the behavior is normal. And online Transit Connect forums seem to corroborate that. But I can't help but wonder if it needs a software update, or the fluid level isn't right, or something...

Definitely ensure the software in the PCM & TCM is up to date, well worth the spend

Drain and refill fluid every 40-50,000 miles

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club