Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do all MK8 Fiestas with 125/155 Ecoboosts have a timing chain?

wblastyn

Hello, I just sold my Ford Puma as it was too excessive for the little mileage I do, and I'm looking to get a Fiesta.  I had a 2012 non-ecoboost Fiesta for 7 years and I'm looking to get a bit more exciting ecoboost one.  I've heard about the timing belt problems and the fact they're now using chains.  Does anyone know if  ALL 125/155 Ecoboost engines have the chain or is it only the 125/155 MHEV Ecoboosts?

I found an older post saying you can tell if you look under the bonnet but I'm afraid I'm more of a computer guy than a car guy.  I know what's inside a computer but have no idea about under a car bonnet.  Could someone kindly show me exactly what I should be looking for if I want an ecoboost with the chain?

The 155 is only MHEV, so they all have a chain.  But the 125 can be either MHEV or non-MHEV.

Big shiny turbo heatshield at the front - wetbelt

Ford Fiesta 1.0T Ecoboost ST-Line long-term review: five months with Ford's  warm supermini | Autocar

No big shiny turbo heatshield at the front - chain

Ford Fiesta mHEV mild hybrid – Road Test – Wheels Alive

• Like 2

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, in the Fiesta only the 125/155 MHEV (early 2020-on) have chains. The 100 still has the belt, as do the earlier 125/140 versions.

Belt version as shown below, with the turbo at the front beneath the shiny heat shields. The MHEV is the other way round, turbo at the rear, and none of the "shiny bits" at the front.

NB the MHEV still has a belt to drive the oil pump, but the cambelt is the one that has given the problems you refer to.

IMG_20190308_100132_hdr.jpg

• Like 1

Just for the record, we had a 2021 fiesta active 95/100 with chain and a 2022 ecosport 140 with a wet belt. Confusing 

Not MHEVs though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RL123 said:

Just for the record, we had a 2021 fiesta active 95/100 with chain and a 2022 ecosport 140 with a wet belt. Confusing 

Nothing to do with the ecoboost engine is ever simple and straight forward.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club