Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec petrol - starting issues

inveloveritas

Hiya 

Newbie here, thanks for having me onboard ! I have just bought my 1.8 Zetec and it seems to have a random starting problem. 

When you turn it to accessories and all the lights go on, the fuel pump stops buzzing and you turn the key, there's the noise of the starter motor about to connect, so like a loud click and then nothing. Often it'll start first time, no problem, sometimes it'll take 3 or 4 goes to make it start. When it starts it's clear that the battery is fine, the starter is energetic and starts the engine no problem, it's just like sometimes theres no connection. 

Now this would be weird enough, but yesterday, usual thing, 3 or 4 starts, then it started and was running perfect, but NO POWER STEERING !!! Turned it off and on again and power steering all back and perfect. 

Anyone got any ideas ???? Thanks Sean 

The first thing I would check is the tightness of the battery lead connections then the earth connection from the battery to the chassis. This may be loose and/or suffering from corrosion.

• Like 1

As above.

Also measure the battery voltage with a multimeter at the terminals. EPAS is very sensitive to low voltage.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club