Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service lights on MK4?

DannG

Hi All,

Does anyone know how/if service lights work/show on the MK4?
Do you get a little spanner icon like most cars? Checked my oil life and it’s on 14% remaining so guessing I should have had something show already?! (Clearly the dealer didn’t do anything with it whilst in their company!).

Sounds like a stupid question but I ask because it never worked on my old car and I had to periodically schedule in services.

Thanks

It usually just comes up on the screen saying to service now when the oil life runs out.

I think it might warn you at 10%, or maybe 5% I can't remember.

It's usually worked out on a combination of time and type of journeys/starts and based on readings from various sensors.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alexp999 said:

It usually just comes up on the screen saying to service now when the oil life runs out.

I think it might warn you at 10%, or maybe 5% I can't remember.

It's usually worked out on a combination of time and type of journeys/starts and based on readings from various sensors.

Ok cool. So on that basis, do I need to change the oil more regularly as some people do or is it fine to wait until it warns me? Obviously no harm doing it more frequently but you know….time/money etc 🙂 

You should only need to change the oil when the life reaches 0%, or whenever your services are due based on mileage or years.

However, there is no harm do more frequent oil changes if you want. Just don't use (or let a garage use) engine flush on the 1.0.

While yours will have a chain driven cam (not the wet belt), it still has an internal oil pump belt, so I'd still avoid having it flushed.

I am a completely unpractical type so I'm reliant on my Ford dealer to service my still relatively young car.  They may be a bit pricey but they seem to do a competent job and having used them (over 2 vehicles) for coming on 8 years I couldn't describe myself as anything other than a satisfied customer!

However I note that every time I phone to book a service I get offered an engine flush.  I have always said "No".  I had read somewhere many years ago this was likely to be unnecessary and was just an attempt to squeeze more money out of less savvy customers.  I am grateful to this Forum for reminding us regularly that engine flushing may be more than just a money-making wheeze - it may in fact increase the risk of causing early deterioration of wet belts.

In view of this, I cannot help but feel that Ford be cautioning their dealers not to offer this "service" as a matter of course before every service ... certainly not without any caveats!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club