Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Part help with water

madman

Hi guys

I have focus mk2 ti vct and I've had possible head gasket issues and had oil cooler replaced and not seen oil in water for while.

Now my coolant keeps dropping max to min just from a drive day before.  I have thermo stuck open and gauge barely moves, but today stuck in traffic it got to 142f on dash minus 40c 102f.

I'm been tracing pipes and stuff and found the rad drainage cap area wet and above it is some kind of valve/sensor that seems to be leaking and dripping down.

Part im trying to see what it is.  Looking at the car just behind right headlight, its valve/sensor thing and inside like a rubber diaphragm,  connected to it little return pipe back to expansion tank and another little pipe to engine. At first I thought the thermostat seal or plastic as it's stuck open. 

What is this part?

Thanks

Sounds like it could be a waffle sprocket. Hard to tell without a photo.

• Haha 2

Lol 😂😂😂.

Something to do with cooling system it's on return feed just before the expansion tank return rubber pipe

Yes, it's a secondary thermostat (controlled by PCM using electric solenoid), only fitted to Ti-VCT models.

2005 Focus 1.6 Ti-Vct Cooling Issues - Ford Focus Club ...

Yes that's it thanks tom.  The little rubber diaphragm inside is split and can see water on the left and right bolts and dropping down near rad drainage plug. 

Can u buy the little rubber diaphragm inside. 

4 minutes ago, madman said:

Yes that's it thanks tom.  The little rubber diaphragm inside is split and can see water on the left and right bolts and dropping down near rad drainage plug. 

Can u buy the little rubber diaphragm inside. 

I haven't seen the diaphragm available separately but that doesn't mean they aren't. 

Probably easier to get the whole thing used from a breakers yard as long as you check the replacement isn't leaking.

Why does car need 2 thermostats, one is a pain to do under the alternator which does need changing as stuck open and this secondary one on return feed. They both open and close

Thanks

23 minutes ago, madman said:

Why does car need 2 thermostats, one is a pain to do under the alternator which does need changing as stuck open and this secondary one on return feed. They both open and close

Thanks

The Ti-VCT was all about efficiency.  Ford spent a lot of time and money tweaking the old 1.6, making it over-complicated, when they should have just have designed a smaller engine and stuck a turbo on it...

The main stat under the alternator is fairly normal, it just controls the flow of coolant through the radiator, albeit electronically, giving greater precision and control than a conventional wax 'stat.

The secondary 'stat is pretty clever for it's time.  It reduces the engine coolant circulation by closing off the reservoir pipe when cold.  This gives the engine a quicker warm up time.  When coolant temps reach 80c, the secondary stat should open, allowing coolant to circulate up the reservoir.

I called fords and asked for a secondary thermostat or the little black diaphragm and they said my car ain't got one. But the picture above in this thread is exactly what I have behind the front right headlight.

He said u sure it's not a EPG.  Think I'll go breakers as you say and see if find a tivct model. Could I take the little diaphragm out and put a small rubber washer around the rim. 

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I called fords again with part number 1223988 and the part is obsolete and it was 109 pound.

The rubber diaphragm not available separately.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, madman said:

Hi

I called fords again with part number 1223988 and the part is obsolete and it was 109 pound.

The rubber diaphragm not available separately.

Thanks for the update.

So I guess the only options you've got now are to buy a good used one, or just bypass it and join the pipes together.

Thanks for quick reply.

It's trying to find a good used one going be difficult, or could i bypass it as and is it safe as my thermostat is stuck open. 

19 minutes ago, madman said:

Thanks for quick reply.

It's trying to find a good used one going be difficult, or could i bypass it as and is it safe as my thermostat is stuck open.

Yeah, it'll be safe to bypass.  Just warm up a bit more slowly.

I'd be more concerned about the main stat being stuck open myself.

Thanks for quick reply

Main stat is like 300 from fords most probably get it cheaper elsewhere tho, it looks a pain to do as it's under alternater and power steering reservoir. I had front left headlight out last week looking for this water leak and thought that looks main stat looks hard to do, I have noticed engine is more noisy until trys to warm up. In traffic gauge will try go under halfway, on the move does not move or it be just a fraction.

I was told head gasket gone and with the main stat open at least not overheating. 

Also why is there 2 thermostat models for mk2 ti vct model. 

One has 3 outlets and electrical connector and the other has 2 outlets and a electrical connector and on ford sites they say both fit. 

Anyone got any info on this, was they modified?..

11 hours ago, madman said:

Also why is there 2 thermostat models for mk2 ti vct model. 

One has 3 outlets and electrical connector and the other has 2 outlets and a electrical connector and on ford sites they say both fit. 

Anyone got any info on this, was they modified?..

Three outlets up to March 2006 build date.  Two outlets from March 06 onwards.

Pipework routing must have changed but I'm not sure what the third outlet is for.  My guess would be the heater matrix.  I know access is very tight on those but if you can follow the pipe away from the stat that's probably the quickest way to work out where it goes.

• 9 months later...

My focus MK2 temp gauges takes ages to get warm to the middle, when car is still  the gauge moves up and soon as I start driving it drops down. Also noticed rev counter slightly higher then normal I guess this is due to it still trying to warm up idle it's usually one 750rpm but now it's 850-900 approx. 

This looking like a thermostat stuck open. Are the easy to do on ti-vct engine as read drain coolant, power steering bottle to the side, take alternator out and the headlight. Is also this necessary for thermostat change on ti-vct.?

Oh and also as car is not getting warm only when still does this have a affect on changing gear. 

Cheers guys

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club