Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Number plate swap

mjt

Did anyone watch the last in the current series of Car SOS? They were converting an MGB GT to EV and the original car was so bad they had to find another used Shell. They claimed that because they no longer had the original Shell or engine they couldn't retain the original registration number. I thought if the original Shell was scrapped that registration became available for re-sale by DVLA, otherwise how do people buy personalised plates or keep their plates when they change car?

I did.  I also thought there was something odd going on with the plate change.

You can remove a plate from a car you're selling and put it on 'retention'.  But the car has to be able to move under it's own power and it must have a valid MOT, even if old enough to be exempt.

12 minutes ago, mjt said:

I thought if the original shell was scrapped that registration became available for re-sale by DVLA,

If the car (or shell) is going to be scrapped and you want to retain the registration then you can apply to DVLA to put the reg on a retention certificate BUT, you can only do that if the car has a current MOT (if required) otherwise you can't transfer the registration, and the plate will die with the car. The DVLA will not re-issue or sell registrations that have been scrapped off. At the moment I have 4 registrations held on retention certificates, which I have to remember to check every few years because if they expire then the registration is lost and can't be got back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, unofix said:

At the moment I have 4 registrations held on retention certificates, which I have to remember to check every few years because if they expire then the registration is lost and can't be got back. 

Do they not send a reminder?

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Do they not send a reminder?

To be honest Tom, I don't know. They didn't use to when the retention only lasted 1 or 3 years (cost more to retain it for 3 years), but now they last 10 years so I don't know. Even if they did you don't update your address on them like you do with a V5c, so if you move house you might not get the reminder.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

To be honest Tom, I don't know. They didn't use to when the retention only lasted 1 or 3 years (cost more to retain it for 3 years), but now they last 10 years so I don't know. Even if they did you don't update your address on them like you do with a V5c, so if you move house you might not get the reminder.

I bought mine online and had email confirmation so I wonder if they'll email me a reminder.  I'll let you know in 8 years time. :laugh: 

Also says on the email that I have an online account where I can change address or even change the nominee.

• Thanks 1

Ah !!!!

I had forgotten about my online account. Now the fun will be trying to remember the details and password 🤣

Edit - Update.

Well after searching through old e-mails I found my user id. tried lots of passwords but none worked 🙁 So had to click 'forgotten password'. DVLA sent me a new temp. password and I logged in 😀 Happiness was short lived as there were 'zero' registrations in my account 🤔

So got all the retention documents out and started to add them as per the DVLA instructions. Then once again the wheels came off the wagon as my retention documents are a type V778 and the online site can only accept them if they are a type V750 😡

Why do the DVLA have to make everything so difficult? Now I remember why it was that I'd forgotten my online account. It's of zero use to me.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Why do the DVLA have to make everything so difficult?

All government agencies see that as their raison d'être.

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club