Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mot minor and advisories

froggy8
聽Share

hi guys

just got my car back and it passed 馃檪

here is my screenshot:

mot.jpg

i have already got the new brake disc and brake pads so im ok in that department.

with the ball joint dust cover, i am guessing it is just a rubber boot that needs replacing?

but with the anti-roll linkage ball joint, im guessing i just need to replace the whole linkage?

also with the suspension arm joint, either change the joint or replace the whole wishbone?

for the rear linkage, il be buying 2 of these:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/starline-anti-roll-bar-link-632680139

and for the front suspension arm, il be getting a pair of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253379281579

i havent fund the dust cover yet as i cant seem to find them.

could anyone tell me if the top 2 links are fine please?

many thanks guys 馃檪

21 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

with the ball joint dust cover, i am guessing it is just a rubber boot that needs replacing?

No, new balljoint.

I would fit two new lower balljoints

two new drop links

two new track-rod ends

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

No, new balljoint.

two new drop links

two new track-rod ends

many thanks

for the lower balljoints, wouldnt it be better replacing the whole wishbone?

i will have another look for the drop links and track rod ends now.

13 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

No, new balljoint.

two new drop links

two new track-rod ends

for both track rod ends, i have gone for these:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/starline-track-rod-end-606590769

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/starline-track-rod-end-606590759

for the drop links, i went with 2 of these:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/starline-anti-roll-bar-link-632680139

have i got the right parts for the droplinks and rod ends?

I would do the opposite to Dave on a car of this age.聽

Would ignore the advisories until you start getting a knocking from either the lower BJ or rear drop link.聽 And would just try to repair the existing track rod end boots with some liquid rubber.聽

Not suggesting he's wrong at all, just different ways of keeping a car on the road.

If you do want to replace everything, remember that you'll need wheel alignment done afterwards.聽 Lower ball joints come in two sizes, either 18mm or 21mm, so you should really measure those before buying.聽 If only buying BJ's without the full arm, you will need a decent drill & bits to drill out the rivets on the original lower arm.聽 And you can buy universal aftermarket ball joint boots on eBay if preferred, but would have to measure the current ones carefully before purchasing replacements.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I would do the opposite to Dave on a car of this age.聽

Would ignore the advisories until you start getting a knocking from either the lower BJ or rear drop link.聽 And would just try to repair the existing track rod end boots with some liquid rubber.聽

Not suggesting he's wrong at all, just different ways of keeping a car on the road.

If you do want to replace everything, remember that you'll need wheel alignment done afterwards.聽 Lower ball joints come in two sizes, either 18mm or 21mm, so you should really measure those before buying.聽 If only buying BJ's without the full arm, you will need a decent drill & bits to drill out the rivets on the original lower arm.聽 And you can buy universal aftermarket ball joint boots on eBay if preferred, but would have to measure the current ones carefully before purchasing replacements.

not trying to sound lazy but i think i will just change the track rod ends till i can hear any knocking like you said.

you dont happen to have a link for the liquid rubber do you?

1 hour ago, froggy8 said:

you dont happen to have a link for the liquid rubber do you?

Just something like this.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/instant-adhesives/loctite_4800.html

It will depend on the type of damage as to whether that's suitable.

If not, you can buy split boots like this, but would obviously need to check the size.聽

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161757630219?

Just contacted ford with my vin number and they told me my balljoint size is 21mm.

I am bit tempted to change both whole wishbone as I can imagine it would be bit easier than drilling and whatnot.

• Like 2

Yep, bit more expensive but much easier and quicker to change the whole wishbone.聽

I tried changing just the ball joint a few years ago with a drill bit and hammer and chisel (and no vice) but it literally took hours....don't do it聽馃槈

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Phil3747 said:

Yep, bit more expensive but much easier and quicker to change the whole wishbone.聽

I tried changing just the ball joint a few years ago with a drill bit and hammer and chisel (and no vice) but it literally took hours....don't do it聽馃槈

yeah i think il do the wishbone route.

If you've got tools put for the wishbones, you might as well do track rod ends at the same time.聽 Will only need one trip to the garage for wheel alignment after doing both together as well.

Obviously there's a big difference in cost between just repairing the TRE boots, or replacing wishbones & TRE's.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If you've got tools put for the wishbones, you might as well do track rod ends at the same time.聽 Will only need one trip to the garage for wheel alignment after doing both together as well.

Obviously there's a big difference in cost between just repairing the TRE boots, or replacing wishbones & TRE's.

cheers tom

sounds like a plan. ordering the parts soon then maybe start working on it in few weeks.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd just run with advisories until next M.O.T. or car starts wandering about.聽 I'd be investigating the oil leak first before any other expense if you keeping her for the year.聽 Preventative maintenance on older cars is a waste of cash in my opinion and after spending a fortune on my old one (still ended up in scrappies).

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Ok guys

Just started getting knocking on the wishbone, I have the parts already but wondering what is the torque settings for the 3 or 4 bolts on each side please?

torque the bolts with the car on the ground .if you have the 1.8 engine you will need to undo the aircon pump bracket and move it to one side to get the longer front pivot bush bolt out

theres lots of youtube vids

https://club.autodoc.co.uk/pdf-manuals/2-da/saloon/lower-arm-of-the-front-independent-suspension/EN-How-to-replace-the-lower-arm-of-the-front-independent-suspension-on-Ford-Focus-2-DA.pdf

• Like 1

you will need the tracking re-aligned afterwards also the torque settings i used with new bolts are ..ball joint@70nm front bolts@175nm and rear bolts@115nm .. ford recommend replacing the bolts .. check the front drop links while youre at it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ferretfloozy said:

you will need the tracking re-aligned afterwards also the torque settings i used with new bolts are ..ball joint@70nm front bolts@175nm and rear bolts@115nm .. ford recommend replacing the bolts .. check the front drop links while youre at it

ok so 3 bolts altogether? good to know, many thanks 馃檪

how do i go about getting new bolts and nuts?

i will need t do some research on the droplink, everything is new unil i have done the jobs on them.

some aftermarket parts come with bolts supplied

up to you if you change them .. lots dont but ford recommend as its more money in their pocket ..search eBay ..amazon or pay the full ford price (go to vospers cornwall.. take some tissues and sit down when ordering them)

Clamp bolt m12 x 65 (2off) each side

Bush pinch bolt m14 x 95 (1off) each side

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ferretfloozy said:

some aftermarket parts come with bolts supplied

up to you if you change them .. lots dont but ford recommend as its more money in their pocket ..search ebay ..amazon or pay the full ford price (go to vospers cornwall.. take some tissues and sit down when ordering them)

Clamp bolt m12 x 65 (2off) each side

Bush pinch bolt m14 x 95 (1off) each side

many thanks again, think il just stick with the old bolts but on my new arm, it has a new nut on the ball joint already so il just reuse 2 bolts and nuts.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club