Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fault code B1993 on Focus mk 2

Dave_
聽Share

I've been having an intermittent airbag light popping up on the dash for a while, read the codes today and it came up with "code B1993 side airbag circuit short to ground".

Now while I'm fairly capable of working on the car I've no idea about the Airbag system (other than knowing to treat it very respectfully).

Can anyone give some advice on where/how to check where this circuit is (I presume it's in the pillar above the seatbelt mount), and how I would go about checking the connectors etc.

Thanks in advance

IMG_0823.jpeg

Hi Dave, is the car a 2010 or a 2004 ?

I think you need to update / correct your profile as the 2004 Ford model Williams seems to be missing on my wiring schematics 馃槈

Before investigating problems with the airbag system disconnect the negative battery lead and wait at least 10 minutes before you start fault finding. All connectors to do with the Safety Restraint System are Yellow and easy to spot. Since the fault is saying it's the side airbag then it could be meaning the side airbag fitted to the drivers seat. Check under the seat and look for the Yellow connectors. It's common for the wiring to get damaged or even wet under the seat. If all is OK the remove the kick panel next to the drivers feet and again check for loose/damaged or corroded yellow connectors.

• Thanks 1

God knows what happened in the profile, it's a 2010 1.6l.

I'm suspecting it's something in the vicinity of the top seat belt mount, there's an airbag logo and cutout up there and the problem can be brought on by moving the height adjuster for the seat belt on the pillar.

I've read about disconnecting before touching, but I'm more concerned about how to get at the area.

The Airbag logo at the top of the B pillar is indicating that the car has side air curtains contained in the roof lining.

With both the front and rear doors open just pull the rubber door seals off both doors around the top. You will then be able to pull the plastic B pillar trim forward and partly off (seat belt needs unbolted to remove completely). You can also ease the head lining down and you will see the air curtains.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, will have to give it a go, my suspicion now is a loose or corroded connector in the area.

Side airbag is in the seat

Check main connector or wiring damage under the rear of the seat

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Side airbag is in the seat

Check main connector or wiring damage under the rear of the seat

Thanks will check that as well, it's puzzling though that I can get the light to come on by moving the driver's seatbelt height adjuster up and down quickly.

4 minutes ago, Dave_ said:

Thanks will check that as well, it's puzzling though that I can get the light to come on by moving the driver's seatbelt height adjuster up and down quickly.

You're probably wriggling in the seat while doing that, breaking the plug circuit under the seat.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I'll be checking under the seat first (mainly because it's less work聽馃構).

• Like 1

The seat connector can be kicked and damaged by rear seat passengers, check the connector for damage and full connection

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

The seat connector can be kicked and damaged by rear seat passengers, check the connector for damage and full connection

I agree, in fact it was the first thing I suggested yesterday 馃ぃ

20 hours ago, unofix said:

Since the fault is saying it's the side airbag then it could be meaning the side airbag fitted to the drivers seat. Check under the seat and look for the Yellow connectors. It's common for the wiring to get damaged or even wet under the seat.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had a look under the seat and everything seems to lead to a small black box towards the front of the seat, (no damp, one thing I've not had to deal with聽馃槄) so I gently just traced along each wire with my fingers and unclipped one wire which felt tight as it approached the box.

image.thumb.png.298540b38b6b27dfa3427d4a2091ce33.png

On a test drive after this the light stayed off, so fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club