Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bought car but service history is not for this vehicle

Powww

Hi I'm looking for some advice as I'm not sure what to do.

Context - I know nothing about cars but needed to change my 2005 Focus. I get really anxious about car buying because I can't afford much and can only really go on Mot history and visual checks plus trust in the seller. This is only the second car Ive bought and the third I've ever owned. I need a car for work purposes. 

3 weeks ago I bought a 2008 mk7 Fiesta 1.4 zetec petrol for £2295 from a local dealer. 103k mileage. Valid Mot til March 24

It came with a service booklet with a part service history and I've since discovered that the stamps date from 2002 and the vehicle details have been tippexed out and my vehicle details written over the top. This was not apparent when I first looked at it at the dealers. I saw the stamps but didnt think to check the dates. 

This has me worried as there are a couple of issues with the car. I know I have some statutory rights separate from the one month warranty. Technically I could reject the vehicle due to falsified docs but I dont want to do that.

Should I raise the issue with the dealer as a heads up?

I want to keep the car. Was the price I paid  a good deal even with no SH? 

Should I ask for issues to be fixed at their cost or accept that I paid a good price so get repairs done at my own cost? The exhaust sounds a little noisy now and the parking brake has become very loose.  Other stuff is consistent with age and mileage and I accept that.

Please go easy on me I'm not angry or wanting revenge on the dealer and not expecting a car that will never have problems. Just feeling a bit suspect about the SH issue. Is it a big deal?

1 hour ago, Powww said:

Technically I could reject the vehicle due to falsified docs but I dont want to do that.

I would do just that if I could, get the money back and walk away. While its possible the dealer didn't recognise the problem with the service history it does raise questions about the car. There are lots of Fiestas out there, try to find a good one else where..

• Thanks 1

That engine is pretty robust.  It won't suffer from missing the odd oil change. 

Fuel & air filter changes really aren't as important as a garage would have you believe.

So, on this particular car, I doubt any of the faults were caused by poor servicing.

I think you should definitely tell the dealer about the faults and the SH.  If they agree to repair them (and ideally put 12 months MOT on for your peace of mind) then you might as well keep it.  It's a lot of hassle to change, and most £2k cars will have some issues as you say.

• Like 2

Hi Beccy. Ok  so you got the car 'cheap'. Have you compared its cost with other Fiestas? Oh by the way you have a Statutory Legal THREE month warranty with any 2nd hand car.

If you've 'only' noticed a little noisey exhaust and the park brake becoming loose then they're relatively cheap to do so take the car back to that dealer with your concerns. Say you've taken advice from the local Trading Standards office and that you are giving the dealer a chance to resolve your issues. 

And whilst they are resolving your issues that they loan you a car to get you by. Take a big burly male friend with you too. Should work wonders.

24 minutes ago, tazzman600 said:

Take a big burly male friend with you too.

Personally I'd take Anne Hagerty 🤣

AH.JPG

• Haha 3

Thanks for your replies and advice. I have compared the price and it seems reasonable. I always research stuff as much as I can. Most others for the price come up as the mk6 so there's that. That's reassuring about the services and the mot history wasn't too alarming. 

I'm no waif and used to work for Trading Standards so will make contact and see what they say. Thanks all.

• Like 1

if the timing belt and water pump hasnt been changed would the garage have to do it for the sale?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OvEr_KiLL said:

if the timing belt and water pump hasnt been changed would the garage have to do it for the sale?

Would hope it's been changed already at 15 years old! :unsure:

These are recommended every 8 years though, so potentially due another next year.

17 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Would hope it's been changed already at 15 years old! :unsure:

These are recommended every 8 years though, so potentially due another next year.

thats why i mentioned it 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club