Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Joined the Darkside

Jimpster

Getting more and more fed up with Microsoft and it's backdoor way of forcing you to use their product Edge etc being ingrained. Been playing with alternatives, few that they are i stumbled upon Zorin 16.2 due to be 17. It has a windows feel and i can still do 99% of my Online stuff. Forscan is on a cheap win 10 lappy, but am sure with some investigating there will be a fix possibly using Wine emulator or such. My main laptop has got its zip back as its not running 200 edge searches crippling CPU performance.

It's FREE being open source and you can download and try before jumping in.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jimpster said:

Getting more and more fed up with Microsoft and it's backdoor way of forcing you to use their product Edge etc being ingrained....

Not so much a backdoor, but a fully fledged front door, also stating that the OS we flogged you a while back is now defunct, so you'll need to buy our new sooperdooper one, which won't run on that old laptop now. So you'll need to toss it in the bin, screw the cost, and screw the environment. The only thing green about them is the top right square of their logo!

• Like 2

That's their business model. Google's gone the same way. I'm still using Windows 7 on my main PCs but had to accept W10 when I bought a new laptop 4 years ago. I've refused the "upgrade" to W11 being careful to avoid the sneaky traps that Micro$oft lays to trick you into accepting it.

Zorin is a flavour of Linux. I dabbled with Ubuntu Linux some years ago because I'd got so fed up with Micro$oft but couldn't really make the switch because a number of the programs that I use don't have Linux versions or open-source equivalents available, and I think they'd probably run dog slow in an emulator.

I'm perfectly comfortable using a command-line interface, in fact I quite enjoy using them. I grew up with them before WIMPs were invented: DOS, CP/M (remember that?), RT-11 on the DEC PDP-11 and VMS on the DEC VAX-11, but after so long I'd have to re-learn the Linux one (I know the current iterations have a GUI but there are still things that can be done more efficiently with a CLI).

• Like 1

As stated gone to Zorin, Firefox, Thunderbird, it's even better on my Ahem "borrows" it's a keeper no going back. Wine emulator works quite well and many of the apps work best in browser. Am back in love with my laptop, Gonna play tomorrow with FORscan. Then am 100% sorted. As stated its very window-esque

• Like 2

I use Firefox and Thunderbird under Windows and DuckDuckGo for web searches. I avoid Micro$oft and Google as much as possible. I also use the Open Office suite.

• Like 1

Open office is great, sadly its getting long in the tooth.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club