Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water In Passenger Footwell

fws0610

Hi everyone - Apologies - I put this query in the mondeo section by mistake.

so hopefully I,ve put it in the right place now. (this is all new to me)

I have a 58 Reg Fusion, the other day I noticed that the Bonnet Release Lever on the passenger side had water coming out of it.

Further investigations showed that the under-carpet/insulation material in the passenger side footwell was soaked. Also by removing the glove box, the bulkhead insulation material going from the big rubber grommet (for the main wiring loom from the engine compartment)down to the footwell was also soaked, indicating that the leak may be from higher up in the region of the bottom corner of the winscreen. Does anyone have any ideas where and how this water is likely to be getting in. I have blasted all of this area with a hosepipe, but cannot see any water coming in. Could it be from even higher up eg the roof area??

Local stealership says that this is only covered by the first year warranty.

Also does anyone know the phone number or contact details for the Ford Customer Support Helpline?

I,ve looked on their website etc. but blowed if I can find anything.

Thanks in anticipation of some helpful hints.

Hi

Just a thought, have you used the Air-con recently?

I have had problems in the past where the water collecting from the air conditioning system wasn't being vented outside the car, it was building up inside the foot wells and rising into the sound proofing material and making the car start to smell.

Once i had a professional person look at it, they used a pipecleaner to clear the blockage allowing the water to drain correctly from the pipe. It might be worth a look, especially with such a new vehicle.

My blockage was caused through going through mud which blocked the drain pipe.

If this is found to be ok, then my thoughts would be towards a windscreen seal perhaps.

Please let us know ho you get on.

Paul.

I've heard of this kind of thing happening when the gutters under the windscreen wipers become clogged with leaves and other such stuff. Rather than carrying the water away, it overflows and runs down the inside of the engine bay and can get in to the cabin. The problem is that it takes a long time to soak through to footwell so it may have been happening long before you spotted it and it may have stopped happening but is taking a long time to dry out. With a previous car, not a Fusion, I had a water leak come from the roof mounted aerial, run down the side of the A pillar and soak the floor. I only found out when I went to change the bulb in the bulkhead light and got soaked.

A body repair friend told me that only way to find out where a water leak is coming from is to strip out the carpets, dust everything down with talcum powder, soak the outside and look for water trails. A long and expensive process.

Thanks each - I have used the aircon a bit lately so this drain pipe looks like agood place to try. paul-eb do you know the location of drain and best way to get at it?

Last weekend to investigate, I removed the full length plastic gutter from the bottom of the windscreen, which was held in place by 2 screws fixing it in the engine bay. Even with this removed a good hosing showed nothing obvious. However i must say that the lip/seal on the gutter that pushes up onto the bottom of the windscreen did seem a bit naff. I assumed it wasn't actually in use as a water seal.

Thinking about it, i am more disturbed at seeing water actually coming out of the internal, passenger side, bonnet latch and the fact that the carpets are wet above and to the left of the fusebox array!!

Anyway more leak checks this weekend hey ho!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club