Do Not Sell My Personal Information

17 galaxy 2.0 Diesel Powershift rough running/vibration?

macaulays

Afternoon All,

Would welcome any musings from the group on the following slight changes I've noticed with our 2.0 diesel auto Galaxy (c. 145k).

I noticed a few weeks ago a wee bit of a shudder coming off a roundabout (a bit like staying in slightly too low a gear in manual) and generally things feeling a bit 'gruffer' than normal. I had initially wondered if there was perhaps a transmission glitch meaning it was lingering in a lower gear than it should but have since noticed that actually the increased vibration seems to be most of the time, particularly noticeable at slow speeds, and idle as well.

I have had worn oil-filled engines mounts in previous cars that have caused a similar feel, is that something that might be in the mix here (not sure if of the Galaxy suffers from that notably?) or something totally different?!

Whether pertinent or not I don't know but I've also just noticed in the last few days another noise, typically only when accelerating at mid-higher speed say 40-60mph, that sounds a bit like a slight rattle/judder (a little like the noise you get from a radiator when air/bubbles in the water are flowing through the liquid in the pipework!). Only when the pedal is down, stops as soon as you lift off, starts again when you press it, lasts for a few seconds as you get up to speed the stops when you ease off having got to speed.

Any thoughts as to potential areas for investigation would be very much appreciated!

All the best,

Sandy

7 hours ago, macaulays said:

Afternoon All,

Would welcome any musings from the group on the following slight changes I've noticed with our 2.0 diesel auto Galaxy (c. 145k).

I noticed a few weeks ago a wee bit of a shudder coming off a roundabout (a bit like staying in slightly too low a gear in manual) and generally things feeling a bit 'gruffer' than normal. I had initially wondered if there was perhaps a transmission glitch meaning it was lingering in a lower gear than it should but have since noticed that actually the increased vibration seems to be most of the time, particularly noticeable at slow speeds, and idle as well.

I have had worn oil-filled engines mounts in previous cars that have caused a similar feel, is that something that might be in the mix here (not sure if of the Galaxy suffers from that notably?) or something totally different?!

Whether pertinent or not I don't know but I've also just noticed in the last few days another noise, typically only when accelerating at mid-higher speed say 40-60mph, that sounds a bit like a slight rattle/judder (a little like the noise you get from a radiator when air/bubbles in the water are flowing through the liquid in the pipework!). Only when the pedal is down, stops as soon as you lift off, starts again when you press it, lasts for a few seconds as you get up to speed the stops when you ease off having got to speed.

Any thoughts as to potential areas for investigation would be very much appreciated!

All the best,

Sandy

Have you had the Transmission fluid & filter changed? @ 145K it is well overdue..

If the oil becomes contaminated it can cause issues in the Transmission solenoid actuations (Gear changes) & if left for an extended of period of time can become catastrophic..? Worth getting checked out

Morning Grisleigh,

Yes it is fully up to date with fluid and filters for the transmission; it was ex Addison Lee so had them done several tiems 'by the book' before I purchased and I then had it done again in Autumn '21 at c. 130k so I think it will next be due this Sept (by years if not by miles). 

It does feel like a transmission shudder though, I've noticed it also a couple of times when stopping on an uphill slope (so probably slowing a lottleore swiftly than usual) that just before you stop there is a fractional revs dip as if youd been a bit late depressing thr clutch in a manual.

Is there any other routine adjustment/input needed to the Powershift beyond the fluid and filter changes it would be worth me checking out. 

Years ago I had a Hyundai traditional automatic whose ability to shift etc would get a little sluggish if the 12v battery was getting low. Any known interplay between battery health and Powershift transmission performance in recent Fords?

Cheers,

Sandy

On 12/31/2023 at 1:50 PM, macaulays said:

Afternoon All,

All the best,

Sandy

It may be worth checking the Gear Change solenoid functions using IDS or Forscan (if you have either)? there maybe a TCM - PCM communication issue (incorrect engine speed from TCM to PCM), If there's any info you need I may be able to help

I've attached a service manual for the 6DCT auto box, you may find informative 😊

Good luck Leigh

6dct450-470-service-menu.pdf

Morning, many thanks for the thoughts Grisleigh. By chance I have just received today the recommended cable and was going to try and install/try For scan for the first time. Good timing! If there are any particular areas of the software/data I should be looking at for that suggested TCM-PCM comms check then any pointers most appreciated never having used the software before.

Cheers!

Check your battery performance first, Powershifts do not like low voltage

27 minutes ago, macaulays said:

Morning, many thanks for the thoughts Grisleigh. By chance I have just received today the recommended cable and was going to try and install/try For scan for the first time. Good timing! If there are any particular areas of the software/data I should be looking at for that suggested TCM-PCM comms check then any pointers most appreciated never having used the software before.

Cheers!

You're welcome, It's probably preferable to seek "DaveT70"'s advice? He seems to be on the Ball 😉 Good luck either way 👍

Grand, thanks all - will let you know if I have any luck with pointers once I've managed to get the Forscan linkup (errors with unsigned drivers on the cable to address first but hopefully not insurmountable!). I wonder if Forscan data helpfully includes battery voltage...? If not, will get that checked out as a first step.

Cheers!

Sandy

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club