Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

How to stop Amazon prime...

StephenFord

I detest amazon with a passion, but I've been asked to obtain an item I can't get anywhere else. On trying to check out, I keep getting the following message, I can find no way to 'refuse',their kind offer. How do I ensure that I don't inadvertently get 'Prime', (I'd rather poke at my eyes!)

amazonprime.thumb.png.bb78b8333abe62f40c3a1a2e9bdaf1f6.png

Just press buy now , you won't be signed to Prime unless you press the learn more button. 

• Like 1

But watch for further traps on the way. There's normally something (usually in small print) along the the lines of "buy without Prime" which they hope you don't press and there's normally something in delivery options to lure you into "free next day delivery with Prime" .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I detest Amazon with a passion

Another thing we agree on :laugh:.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think I found a solution. There is a seller on eBay (from Germany) who listed a variant on what I need, they just emailed me back to say they are are getting the exact thing in the next day or so. I'll quite happily wait, and even from Germany, it works out £1 cheaper than amazon...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I detest Amazon with a passion

I'm not keen myself, but sometimes it does come in handy. I've found most of the sellers who just use it as a platform, much like eBay, pretty good.

The infuriating thing is buying stuff from amazon itself and playing "avoid Prime."

I did once get caught with the "30 days free trial" but cancelled immediately, though it still took 30 days to become effective. I wouldn't mind so much if it was made a clear option (and one to opt into, rather than out of) and I can appreciate what's on offer might well appeal to some. It shouldn't feel like walking into a minefield every time you browse there, though! 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I did once get caught with the "30 days free trial" but cancelled immediately,

Well I have a confession to make 🙄

I signed up for amazon Prime two weeks before Christmas so that I got free delivery on any items I was buying. So I've watched the second series of Clarkson's Farm, and ready now to cancel the 30 days free trial now that the holidays are over.

Funny thing is I got an e-mail from amazon this morning advising of changes to amazon Prime video. So now as well as paying to watch the videos you will also now get adverts with them !!

But don't worry 🙁 for only an additional £2.99 per month you will be able to continue watching without the adverts.

Poor Amazon, times are hard for them 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, unofix said:

Well I have a confession to make 🙄

Judging by the number of their vans that drive past my house every single day, I just assumed I was the only guy on the planet that didn't like amazon - glad to see I'm not on my own!

I don't 'like' amazon either.  But if I only shopped at places I liked, I wouldn't have much! :laugh:

I suspect many people are in the same boat.  Bit of a necessary evil of the current society.

Wasn't aware they were adding adverts though.  What a cheek when I was going to use the free trial to watch the third Clarkson's farm! :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I just assumed I was the only guy on the planet that didn't like Amazon

I think it's a bit like buying Chinese made goods. Many people hate doing it but have little or no option, and of course convenience. Good old eBay is total crap these days due to the stupidly high selling fees which means the days of secondhand items are few and far between since the search system seems hell bent on only finding commercial sellers.

Gumtree is starting to become my first stop off when searching for stuff these days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't 'like' Amazon either.  But if I only shopped at places I liked, I wouldn't have much!

I have a few places I 'boycott', amazon, B&M, and The Range, there are others but I'll not bore you. The customer always has a choice, I survive just fine without amazon...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Amazon, B&M, and The Range

That's quite a little list  you have there. I've totally boycotted Wickes since the CEO said it was compulsory to be transgender to shop there. Or perhaps not those exact words 🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I have a few places I 'boycott', Amazon, B&M, and The Range, there are others but I'll not bore you. The customer always has a choice, I survive just fine without Amazon...

Don't forget I can't get out though.  So limited to home delivery.  For a few random small items, amazon offers a service that no other home delivery services do. 

eBay has gone downhill lately, fees are a big issue as Unofix says.  Plus postage prices have made a lot of small items unviable to deliver from any online store now. 

Also the HMRC have quietly introduced a new power this week.  They now require eBay (and similar) to provide details of goods sold even privately online.   That will put a lot of private sellers off risking tax trouble for selling a few used items on the side.  Not to mention selling a high value item such as a used car...

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, unofix said:

That's quite a little list  you have there. I've totally boycotted Wickes since the CEO said it was compulsory to be transgender to shop there. Or perhaps not those exact words 🤣

Yep, Julia Hartley Brewer (TalkTV) has the exact same boycott for the same reason. I also boycott Ben & Jerry for their woke opinion on an issue which is several years old now, and I've forgotten what it was 🤣

Oh, I just googled the B&J boycott LOL

I also forgot Costa Coffee for using an image of a transgender man with a breast removal scar, for promoting their coffee being inclusive. Think I'll stop now as I'm sounding as if I walk around wearing a tin hat!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Also the HMRC have quietly introduced a new power this week.  They now require eBay (and similar) to provide details of goods sold even privately online.   That will put a lot of private sellers off risking tax trouble for selling a few used items on the side.  Not to mention selling a high value item such as a used car...

Moneysavingexpert has a good article in his weekly email explaining it all. Only kicks in after. I think, £1000 a year, which is going to put a lot of folk off indeed.  

Thing is, anything I buy I use money I've earnt from work (that I've paid income tax on) and anything I buy has VAT incorporated in the price. So why should I be liable to pay tax on it if I decide to sell it later on? 

12 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Moneysavingexpert has a good article in his weekly email explaining it all. Only kicks in after. I think, £1000 a year, which is going to put a lot of folk off indeed. 

Sadly, after only a few days in January, I have already notched up £120. A friend and I have just been discussing this. Shame that billionaires get away with paying nought, but because anything sold on eBay has a legitimate easy source, we're being targeted for relative peanuts. It will definitely put me off selling what really is very often, 'junk'!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

Thing is, anything I buy I use money I've earnt from work (that I've paid income tax on) and anything I buy has VAT incorporated in the price. So why should I be liable to pay tax on it if I decide to sell it later on? 

Article for anyone interested...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2024/01/online-platforms-etsy-vinted-airbnb-report-hmrc/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

amazon prime. I was a member for decades and loved it. Why did I join it? Free delivery and streaming videos. Brilliant. Items delivered either to my house or a drop off point (a 3 min walk away)

Since I stopped buying the quantity I did and their recent price rise I cancelled my membership. The customer service is 2nd to none and I've used them more times than I care to remember. Returning goods and refunds second to none. Yes I still use amazon but scarcely. 

eBay again is very good. I've never paid for a delivery. The same item is for sale numerous times by different vendors. Some charge for delivery most don't.

As for boycotted any of them. That's an individuals perogative. But futile in my opinion.

As for the tax thing. It won't affect the vast majority of sellers. Only the businesses that use those platforms. 

Selling a car on eBay however might hit the seller with a tax bill but I don't think that's fair one iota.

I've had about 20 amazon Prime accounts, I buy, I accept Prime get my delivery and cancel, not really an issue.

• Like 1

Shame on me but I paid for Prime and thought hard about the price increase. Noticed adverts on some shows just before
xmas and quite a few weeks later we get an email stating they are going to start using adverts unless you pay more.

Price increase and adverts unless you pay even more is OTT and I will be cancelling when the renewal comes around.

I don't want to pay for adverts.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club