Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

99% mobile network coverage - how is that measured??

StephenFord

I was in Antrim at the weekend, a local town, where there were numerous locations I couldn't get a phone signal. I don't get a signal at home (I have to use WiFi calling), and I don't get one at mum's house (in Belfast). Am I just unlucky finding all the 1% areas where there is no coverage, or is this 99%' stuff just BS nonsense?

• Sad 1

It's not measured.  It's predicted by computer modelling using the location of masts.  It also includes areas where the signal is only good enough to be received outside.

Most network providers show a coverage map.

Network Status checker | Check your signal | Vodafone

Don't forget the aerial on your phone may be poor.  And dense building materials may block signals indoors as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

...  It's predicted by computer modelling using the location of masts....

mmm... and we all know that computers don't make mistakes!

• Like 2

I believe it’s also based on the population. Not geographical. 

So it’s not that 99% of the UK land mass is covered, but that 99% of the population can receive a signal. 

• Like 3

Over 20 years ago when I was on CellNet (younger ones can google it), their network coverage map showed my house as having full signal, it didn't, it had none. More recently in the last 7 years, I'm on EE who though never did get a signal, did offer me the most amazing device, a 'booster box', which I connected to my router, witchcraft took place, and it created a 5 bar signal bubble round my whole house! Just fantastic, till recently they killed it as it worked off 3G.

Forcing me to buy a new phone which had WiFi calling, otherwise I'd have nothing again.

I hate mobile networks, as above, I can easily find areas of no signal, despite whatever their so called coverage maps show...

• Like 1

The signal round by us is dire, and surrounding villages/ towns. Always has been.

52 minutes ago, iantt said:

The signal round by us is dire, and surrounding villages/ towns. Always has been.

The thing is, many people I talk to have the same opinion, yet society is walking into a world that increasing will be reliant on a 'signal'. What happens when you're in a shop, and have no signal, yet your bank has done away with cash & cards as they tell you you don't need them because you have an app!

Just last week in Lidl, a bunch of us at the till couldn't open their app to avail of the offers as the local EE tower was having a hissy fit.

My own experience of finding mum collapsed after a stroke, and being able to call 999 from her landline to get help. My mobile doesn't work in her house, no matter what folk may think about access to 999.

There is a fallacy that technical developments improve our lives, we are sleepwalking into an environment where that is no longer true...

• Like 3

Another gripe is buying stuff on the internet. We now have "two factor identification" on internet purchases which in many cases means they send a one time verification code to your mobile. No signal means you can't complete your transaction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More modern IT gripes. Just received a marketing email from Casio, so hit the 'unsubscribe' button, got this...

casiounsubscribe.thumb.jpeg.183bfda165e7f5953638a06d1b9168d1.jpeg

The email also offered an option to change your marketing preferences - got this

casiotimedout.thumb.jpeg.8fbbc98ac159e2cbcb48fa9dba4e556e.jpeg

Modern day tech really isn't all it's cracked up to be. Can't wait for the onslaught when driverless cars get underway 🤣

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Just received a marketing email from Casio, so hit the 'unsubscribe' button, got this...

Getting off the topic now, but yes, amazing how many times I unsubscribe from something but it makes no difference! It's all a bit Hotel California!

11 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Another gripe is buying stuff on the internet. We now have "two factor identification" on internet purchases which in many cases means they send a one time verification code to your mobile. No signal means you can't complete your transaction.

This irritates me as well.  It's fine if buying something through the phone...  But if I'm on the laptop, I really can't be a*sed to go and get my phone to complete the transaction! 

One or two places give the option for email verification instead of text.  Any places that don't offer that, I leave a comment in the 'survey' box suggesting that they do in future.

• Like 2

I give up LOL

yodel.thumb.jpg.1a5430bc1e559244ae7e3a551b2369fd.jpg

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club