Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paint tin ball bearing noise from centre console.

jayceewuk

Hi,

I've recently purchased a 2012 2.0TDCI Galaxy and when I turn a corner I've noticed a noise that sounds like the ball bearing in a paint can going from one end of the can to the other coming from the centre console.

I've removed the gear lever surround trim and had a bit of a look but can't see anything obvious. Before I strip it out further I wondered if anyone had any idea what it might be?

Many thanks,

Try adding some paint in the can, it should stop the ball bearing 🤣

Have heard this with a pound coin dropped into the windscreen air vent on another car.  Sounds like yours is nearer the middle though?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Sounds like yours is nearer the middle though

Tom I'm impressed. You have fantastic hearing 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2024 at 6:55 PM, unofix said:

Try adding some paint in the can, it should stop the ball bearing 🤣

If I could find the can I would!

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2024 at 7:58 PM, TomsFocus said:

Have heard this with a pound coin dropped into the windscreen air vent on another car.  Sounds like yours is nearer the middle though?

Possibly. It does sound like a ball bearing rolling back and forth though. I've seen similar with oil filled devices where the oil has leaked out. Wondered if there might be a sensor or something for body roll.

Anyway, I'll get on to stripping it out and I'll see what I can find!

Thanks for replying.

1 hour ago, jayceewuk said:

I've seen similar with oil filled devices where the oil has leaked out. Wondered if there might be a sensor or something for body roll.

The yaw rate sensor will be somewhere around the centre console in the middle of the car.  I've never heard a noisy one though.

That's interesting, would have said it was more roll affected than yaw from the noise, but you never know!

Thank you!

Noises are notoriously difficult to pinpoint, especially trying to do it yourself. Ask a friend to listen for it while you are driving. I had a noise once that I was convinced was coming from the dashboard - then my passenger said "but it's coming from up there" pointing to the sunglasses holder above the rear view mirror. She was right, of course!

• Like 1

Thanks alanfp. I've done that and it's definitely the from the centre console near to the gear lever. If you've ever heard the ball bearing in a paint tin roll from one end to the other it's exactly like that. Hopefully this weekend I'll get time to strip it out a bit and find the cause. Be very funny if there is a tin of paint under there!

I stripped out as much as I dare around the centre console so I had a clear view of everything under and around the gear lever and couldn't find anything that would make the noise I'm hearing, or any void I could see where the noise would occur. I've now noticed that when I brake hard the same noise can be heard with whatever it is rolling forwards, instead of the side to side I've been hearing before.

I'm think TomsFocus comment regarding something dropped down a heating vent, most likely one of the dashboard central vents, is the most likely culprit. Looks like a lot of work though to be able to dismantle everything far enough to be able to determine if this is the case. So it looks like I'll be living with the noise and turning the radio up a bit to mask it 😆

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club