Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF Error but no Limp Mode

yellowbooth
聽Share

Hi folks, I hope you can help me 馃檪

I have just bought a Focus TDCI Titanium 150 (148?) and on the way home (after about 200 miles) the orange engine light came on and the message on ODB2 reader were (P2463 /聽P2463(00) /聽P244C(00) ) (full displays below).

My questions are:

1) Since it didn't go into limp mode, should I try to initiate a regen or get a mobile DPF cleaner service out.

2) Could trying the regen mess up my engine?

3) With a normal ODB2 reader, can I find out how badly blocked it is with a paid app?

Thanks a lot in advance 馃檪
Lozza

===========================

P2463 [0x2463] Diesel particulate filter (DPF) - DPF restricted Status: Confirmed聽

P2463(00) [0x246300] Diesel particulate filter (DPF) - DPF restricted Status: Test failed, Test failed (current drive cycle), Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Warning indicator requested聽

P244C(00) [0x244C00] Diesel particulate filter (DPF), bank 1 - exhaust temperature too low for regeneration Status: Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle

Hi Lozza. What diagnostic system are you using? If its not Forscan then bin it as its just a generic type. With Forscan it'll give you the correct codes if any are flagged up.

Yes you can do a forced regen with Forscan. I did it with my Ford diesels and there were no detrimental effects afterwards.聽

Thanks for the reply tazzman600!

No, it is just a generic one! So, can I see more details in a Forscan?

Is it this usb one that I need (looking on amazon):聽FORScan ELMconfig OBD2 Adapter USB Scanner

If it still happens after a forced regen you most likely need a new vaporizer and it's in the most awkward small space so would be easier for a mechanic on ramps as took me hours on mines and I broke the pump line and had to replace that too 馃槀聽Limp mode will occur after so many instances of the same code with a nice orange icon.

Thanks for all your replies! I've just received the forscan and connected it up.

I see in service procedures, there is DPF Static Regen at the top.

Please would someone tell me how I proceed as I don't want to mess anything up!

I can guess it may be like the following but would appreciate any corrections!! 馃檪

Select DPF Static Regen
Click Play
Remove the Forscan
Drive for 20 miles at 3000 revs
Engine light should go out

Just read help.. so revised my procedure.. is this correct for running the Forscan DPF Static Regen:

Start the engine聽
Turn on heated windows and aircon
Select DPF Static Regen
Click Play
Away it goes...

Take the car for a drive to warm it up.

Open the Bonnet because if it does a Regeneration then things will get very hot.

Make sure that you are not parked with anything behind you because it might get damaged from the extra heat coming out of the Exhaust.

Start the Engine and hit Play, do not drive the car. Your Laptop or Phone Screen will tell you what is happening.

You don't need to switch on the Heated Screen or Aircon or anything else.

If your Vaporiser or anything else is faulty then a Regeneration will not complete and FORScan will tell you.

Before doing this I would check the PID'S in the PCM for Soot and Ash load plus Differential Pressure and take a note of them (screenshot) for a before and after comparison.聽 聽

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 2:31 PM, F0CUE said:

馃槀

And it is very noisy and revs like hell my g/f ran for the hills when I done mines 馃槀

Thanks for the info - I just tried it and it gave up 馃槥

It said:

Please wait 30 seconds
Regeneration started. Please wait... 50 min
Static regeneration is in warm up phase

The engine then revved up for about a second.. then a message came up:

Please turn the ignition OFF (if engine speed is high, wait until it returns to idle...)

Then said it was CANCELLED BY USER

It will not do a Static Regeneration if something is not right, probably a fault with your Vaporiser.

9 minutes ago, Tizer said:

It will not do a Static Regeneration if something is not right, probably a fault with your Vaporiser.

I thought that might be it 馃槥聽Am I able to see what is wrong in the Forscan?

It's the same symptoms mines was having. You will only see messages about soot levels and stuff. A聽Vaporiser doesn't cost too much TBH and you will have trouble free regens for a while again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F0CUE said:

It's the same symptoms mines was having. You will only see messages about soot levels and stuff. A聽Vaporiser doesn't cost too much TBH and you will have trouble free regens for a while again.

Oh that's interesting.. I'll pass that on to the dealer I think.. hope they will fix it for me as I love the car otherwise!
I didn't see anything in FORscan about DPF related figures.. please could you tell me where to look for them?

2 hours ago, yellowbooth said:

I didn't see anything in FORscan about DPF related figures.. please could you tell me where to look for them?

Go to Dashboard or Table and look in the PCM. There is a search function to save you scrolling.

What is there varies from car to car but there should be ones for Soot and Ash load plus Differential Pressure and maybe Distance Since Last Regeneration.

10 hours ago, Tizer said:

Go to Dashboard or Table and look in the PCM. There is a search function to save you scrolling.

What is there varies from car to car but there should be ones for Soot and Ash load plus Differential Pressure and maybe Distance Since Last Regeneration.

Cheers Tizer.. I'll check that out.

Couldn't see anything relevant.. am I looking in the wrong place or does it just not save on this car?

2.thumb.png.11b568d56a62fcd10c6a47992dec3883.png

3.thumb.png.7123f910e62e3252450c2ef3f06bff79.png1.thumb.png.d5923be7b097735809aa9d658b0744d4.png

Need to click the graph icon on the left hand side to access live data.

When I clicked that it was empty - do I need to run the engine when I click that (sorry if it's a stupid question!)

Just now, yellowbooth said:

When I clicked that it was empty - do I need to run the engine when I click that (sorry if it's a stupid question!)

The ignition needs to be on.聽 Not necessarily the engine as well - depending on which data you're after.

You have to choose which ECU you want (PCM in this case) and then choose which specific PID's you want from a list.聽 They get added to the graph or table (you can switch between the two) then press play and it'll show the live data from the PID's you've selected.聽 There are hundreds to choose from, which is why you have to choose just the relevant ones.聽 You will need the engine running for the soot loading PID.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowbooth said:

Instructions聽 聽聽https://forscan.org/documentation.html

• Like 1

Yay, I got the readings thank you all 馃檪

I enabled anything that mentioned DPF or SOOT so I expect everything interesting is there.
The readings I got were:
DPF System Percentage of the Maximum Soot Loading:
聽 聽Inferred Closed Loop: 61%
聽 聽Inferred Open Loop: 148%
Mass of Soot Trapped in DPF:
聽 聽Inferred Closed Loop: 6
聽 聽Inferred Open Loop: 13
Number of consecutive failed DPF Regens: 100
DPF Inlet Pressure: 1.8kPa
Exhaust Differential Pressure: 1.8kPa
Chance of successful regen: 0.01% (that one I understand!)

Love to know what these should be!

I'm off to get the DPF cleaned tomorrow but I am expecting the vaporizer might need replacing too..聽

Thanks all
Loz

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@yellowbooth聽how did you solve the issue at the end? my mk3.5 is acting the same way.
Was it the vaporizer at the end?聽

TIA, Mario

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club