Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 S -Max 2.0L Zetec TDCI - Engine shut down at high load

MrTebb

Hi All, Hope you can offer some guidance and assistance. I have issue with my 2017 S -Max 2.0L Zetec TDCI. The car has done 42k and has an issue with complete power loss at high load. It happens during acceleration and cuts the car off completely. The dash then shows the red battery light and the orange spanner light. The car will then not turn over (it tries put won't fire) or restart until the car is cycled completely. it will then work fine until it cuts again under load. This only happens at high speed with load on the engine in a high gear but its so dangerous with 3 kids in the car and no option but to idle to the hard sholder and power cycle the car. I took it to a garage who replaced the fuel filter as the cheapest easy fix but this has not solved the issue. I just wanted to ask advice before I end up down some expensive rabbit holes.

I have a cable arriving tomorrow to run a (Forscan) scan for codes but i'm not hopeful as everyone who has scanned has come back with no stored codes.

The only other thing to note is i have noticed the car has a start/stop system and this has never worked, its active but the system never triggers

Ill update tomorrow after the scan but any ideas or anyone with previous experience of this. I have seen a few forum posts around the internet but never a full resolution etc

Many thanks

There should be stored codes but you need to read them correctly

On 2/5/2024 at 2:49 PM, DaveT70 said:

There should be stored codes but you need to read them correctly

I now have my cable and forscan installed. Can someone please just give me a very quick overview of what to do. I have scanned tonight and the DTC’s are all clear. 

the total loss of power last happend while motorway driving in October. I was planning on taking the car for a long drive up the motorway this weekend to get it into shut down orange spanner mode and then scan before I cycle the car. 

is there anywhere I’m missing scanning

many thanks all

If you are positive you have connected to the vehicle properly then it looks like the codes for this issue are live codes, which clear immediately and will only appear when the vehicle is in fault state.

The only way to fully find out what is going on is to carry the laptop around in the car and when the car goes into fault mode read the codes then

• Thanks 1

Wasn’t able to replicate the car cutting out today despite heavy load in high gear for a good 40 min motorway driving. So god knows what’s going on with this car. I’ll keep you posted. Fingers crossed it’s gone 

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this? I had a similar issue, but mine was like I was running out of fuel, engine struggled, starved and shutdown. But restarted without a problem every time. My suspicion was supermarket biodiesel clogging the filter in cold weather.

A clogged fuel filter cannot be the reason for this fault.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, this issue came back today after i thought it had been resolved but this time I have codes. any assistance is greatly appreciated before I speak with a garage. Codes attached in full detail but top line for both PCM faults are

Code: P02FA - Intake Air Flow Position Sensor Minimum/Maximum Stop Performance

Additional Fault Symptom (:99):
 - Exceeded Learning Limit

Status (-68):
 - Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
 - Test not complete

Code: P228C - Fuel Pressure Regulator 'A' Exceeded Control Limits - Pressure Too Low

Status (-68):
 - Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
 - Test not complete

smax codes.txt

• Like 1

My thoughts would be a problem with the high pressure fuel pump.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club