Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaking rain cabin filter under windscreen 2020 Mk4 - Pics

Fordster1

Has anyone seen this leaking issue before on a Mk4 and how did you repair it?

Basically, the cabin filter is soaking wet. I put a hose on the windscreen and seen the water entering from inside the car in with the cabin filter removed. 

I removed the windscreen cowl trim or scuttle panel plastic and was hoping to find dirty leaves build up or a displaced rubber grommet or something. But no, everything loosk to be in place as it should, it looks like a design flaw where there is nothing to divert the water away from the area of the cabin filter.

In the picture I attached with the blue editing, the circles are water droplets, the water runs down the windscreen and lands on the plastic of the cabin filter and if the flap is open which it always is when the car is switched off the water then makes it's way into the cabin filter. There is a single piece of plastic trim clipped onto the underside of the windscreen cowl which sits in front of the cabin filter flap, but it dosesn't sit right up against it, it's pretty useless where it is.

I'm not sure how to fix this as it doesn't look like a seal is work or a bit of trim is damaged or anything that could be renewed to fix it, it's more like a design issue. I work on another one of these cars and it doesn't leak. I'd appreciate any pointers / fixes or even some cases of this being seen by other members. Cheers

image.thumb.jpeg.64a9bb6b8f3f61eb4939b57dfcc0b0cc.jpegIMG_8583.thumb.jpg.7cf23abbbc36adc5b1278352b9f39c93.jpgIMG_8582.thumb.jpg.2a76c03f12a0dea99707a00c634fd70d.jpgIMG_8581.thumb.jpg.592e58a045d8a105718dc6676317a6c7.jpgIMG_8580.thumb.jpg.96301133f0e0ba98f729adac1d65efcf.jpg

[img]https://i.ibb.co/tP1F9fx/IMG-8580.jpg[/img]

• 1 month later...

Hi, did you get any joy with this as I've just noticed mine is doing the same thing?

I’ve also got this same issue, did you manage to find a solution?

originally thought pollen filter was clogged and attracted the moisture. Changed the filter and the moisture has returned within a month and the heavy rain periods.

My first thought is I had the windscreen replaced around November, it may be possible they’ve re assembled it incorrectly or the seal has failed allowing water to pass through straight into the inlet you’ve pictured.

I'm going to go to the auto-glass garage and see if that is a panel they would have removed, or if they will re seal and see if it helps the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, for the late update. I didn't get the forum notifications emails so didn't see the thread replies. 

Anyway, Ford fixed this under warranty for me, they said Ford Europe were aware of the issue and they told the Ford dealer we bought the car from how to fix it. I don't actually know what they did to repair it but I believe it's repaired. I think they replaced the seal between the bulk head and pollen filter housing under the scuttle panel. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club