Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Galaxy 2.0 TDCI Engine Malfunction message

Andy m1

Hi, I'm having the engine malfunction message flag up on my 2012 galaxy 2.0 TDCI. Diagnostic says its the exhaust after treatment glow plug. Turning engine and ignition off and on again clears the engine malfunction message but it reappears after about 5 minutes of driving, but does not flag up when running the engine for long periods when stationary.  Vehicle normally only used for short / local trips, annual mileage approx 5000/year. Any one experienced similar and how was it rectified?

Thanks

Check the fuel vaporiser for blockage . Also the glow plug in the vaporiser can fail, sometimes blowing the fuse. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 6:53 PM, iantt said:

Check the fuel vaporiser for blockage . Also the glow plug in the vaporiser can fail, sometimes blowing the fuse. 

Hi, thanks for the advise. I checked the F6 20amp fuse (Listed as the vaporiser in the vehicles fuse list) and sure enough it had blown. After fitting a new fuse and clearing all the fault codes I ran the engine for a good while at idle and at various higher throttle settings between 2k -4k, no faults generated and the fuse had not blown. I then drove the car and after about 3 minutes the engine malfunction fault message popped up again. The fuse had blown and the diagnostic showed the 'after treatment glow plug is open circuit' message as before plus 'particulate trap efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)' message. My next move will be to replace the glow plug. Would you happen to know if there a way to change the glow plug without needing to bleed the attached fuel line?

Thanks for your time.

Glow plugs aren't attached to the fuel lines (are they???)

Thant's the injectors

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Glow plugs aren't attached to the fuel lines (are they???)

Thant's the injectors

The vapouriser is basically a glowplug with a fuel line through it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The vapouriser is basically a glowplug with a fuel line through it.

You learn something new, every day

• Like 1

I would replace the whole vapouriser assembly. Chances are the vapouriser outlet is blocked with carbon . Then go on a longish drive to get the fuel running up the pipe. It's not a long pipe to fill up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

You learn something new, every day

Screenshot_20240306-172428.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iantt said:

I would replace the whole vapouriser assembly. Chances are the vapouriser outlet is blocked with carbon . Then go on a longish drive to get the fuel running up the pipe. It's not a long pipe to fill up. 

Thanks for the info. In your opinion do you think it feasible to change the glow plug first and see if the problem is solved? Or would trying it without changing the whole vaporiser assembly cause further damage?

Thanks Again

Won't cause further damage, but I think it's a false economy just changing the glow plug, not that I know if you can get it separately. 

55 minutes ago, iantt said:

Won't cause further damage, but I think it's a false economy just changing the glow plug, not that I know if you can get it separately. 

Ahh, I think I caused confusion by saying glow plug instead of vaporiser assembly. As you say, I don't think the glow plug is separable from the vaporiser assembly. I misunderstood earlier when you say replace the whole vaporiser assembly, I thought you were referring to the whole DPF filter assembly including the vaporiser assembly. Am I now correct in thinking you mean you would change the vaporiser assembly as per the image you posted?

Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Receiving an "Engine malfunction" message on your 2012 Galaxy 2.0 TDCI indicates a potential issue with the engine system. It's crucial to have the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic to diagnose and address the problem promptly. Ignoring such warnings could lead to further damage and compromise vehicle performance and safety.

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club