Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 - Stalls easily on cold / initial startup

willdudeuk

Hi

So I’ve noticed on initial / cold start after leaving the vehicle overnight or coming back to it after work the car likes to stall. 

Appears to sort itself out once running for a bit longer but was trying to diagnose what it might be. 

I know the clutch has been replaced in the last year or 2 as I’ve seen an invoice from Car Spares Distribution in the glovebox. 

What could be causing the poor initial running / stalling event?

Have’nt got any codes on FORScan so thinking it might be a mechanical issue instead?

Not sure if the clutch is mechanical / cable operated or hydraulically controller via a slave cylinder  

Any advice would be helpful.

The clutch is hydraulic.  Didn't you have a clutch switch fault code recently?

Is it stalling during idle or only when you're lifting the clutch?

If you've been driving diesels, petrol engines do need more revs to pull away when cold.

This engine doesn't use a great idle system tbh.  There's no idle control valve for precision air dosing.  It just relies on holding the huge throttle plate open slightly, which doesn't have the same precision.  A sticky throttle body makes the issue worse as it catches & snatches rather than moving smoothly.

• Like 1

I’ll double check and see if the code is still there for the clutch switch.

So it could be related to needing a new clutch switch?

It happens when lifting the clutch. Seem to struggle with getting the biting point right at times.

I’ll remove the throttle body and see how it is. I’m sure it’s overdue a clean.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up on this......

Cleaning the throttle body has seemed to help the issue on cold start with stalling so happy days.

Shall put this down as SOLVED now. 

Think the clutch switch code was a red herring and has not reappeared since clearing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club