Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ford focus cc3 09 petrol rear shock absorbers

dancc3

I have a rear shock absorber thati is making a banging and  rattleing noise  which I assume it's broken ,this has heppened after i had fitted broken cupe that attach to the underside of the boot

Garages have priced the job at £360 -380 ,both sides or one side £190, my question,  what is the differnce with the ones on the intenet at approx £60

Is it a easy job ?

many thanks for any help 

It's probably the top mount that's broken if it's banging & rattling.  So add another £10-£20 for that on top of the price of the shock.

It is a fairly easy job on these.  Just one bolt through the eyelet at the bottom.  Then two nuts at the top to remove the strut assembly.  Once the strut is off just need to counter hold the shock while undoing the top nut to separate the shock from the mount.  The bump stop and dust cover can be swapped onto the new shock.

I'd estimate up to an hour each side in garage labour.  Average rates seem to be about £80/hr now.

The rear end weight of the CC is obviously different to every other model, so I'd say it is worth going for CC specific shocks otherwise the damping rate may be wrong which could affect the comfort and handling.

Had the cups replaced 2 days ago, both sides because one had cracked total cost£250

on picking the car up this is when the noise started on the opposite side of pothole incident 

went back must have stayed a few hours they could find nothing wrong, so some is wrong

• Sad 1

Ah, I couldn't work out what 'cupe' was meant to be in the first post.

£250 sounds excessive for a couple of top mounts.

Unfortunately they'll have to do the same labour again to replace a shock so that explains the high cost estimate.

On the hatchbacks the top nut can be undone from inside the boot behind the carpet.  That would allow you to leave the mount in place and just change the shock itself.  However I don't know if access is the same there on CC and it doesn't save that much time.

It would be worth checking all bolts they loosened in case one wasn't fully tightened.  And also check the ARB drop links as they break regularly on the Mk2.

Many thanks for all help I will check again later on 

Hi took the car to another garage 2mechanics worked hard in trying to find the fault but could not .

I went for a drive and noticed the roof lining was a bit lose stuck it back up,drove off noise  still there.

I decided to try it with the roof down and it worked so the problem must be with the roof . I have opened up the roof half way to see if anthing is flaping around but no joy.

Has anyone have any idears?ase?

• 2 weeks later...

hi tomfocus 

I thought I had given an update but you were right . My brother in law  checked it and found they had not tightened it down ( top nut) , problem solved.

Why could no one else find the problem?

Looking at the price of the body mounting brackets  about £6.50 each I ws scammed.

once again thanks 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club