Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8TDCI Timing belt moves when car is rocked, not cranked

MonkeyMiles

Mk2 Focus is currently in the garage after it broke down on the motorway.

Original diagnosis was the timing belt (from AA man) but I've just had the timing belt done so was doubtful.

Upon pulling the casing back, timing belt looked ok and had tension but it doesn't spin when the car is cranked - the alternator belt, however, spins no problem.

At this point I assumed a pulley had went and it wasn't turning the belt BUT apparently (my dad is a witness to this), the bloke in the garage rocked the car back and forth and the timing belt moved....

So since I'm rubbish with cars, I'm now stumped and wondering what everyone else thinks while I wait for his verdict.

Worth mentioning when the car broke down, it was a brief grinding sound followed by the car losing all power and the engine cutting out, didn't sound like a belt snapping, nor did it sound like the pistons smacking the valves but I think it's wishful thinking to assume they haven't done so... Place your bets everyone 🙂

The 1.8 TDCI uses a second timing belt to reach the crank.  On a 2008 model that's probably a wetbelt.  (Previously a chain)

I reckon that's failed, and the rocking is a coincidence.  If that hasn't failed, then it'll be a fuel pump fault.  The wetbelt goes from crank to fuel pump.  The cambelt goes from fuel pump to cam.  

Either way, you'll need to remove the new belt to check the wetbelt.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club