Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Brakes! (need to change my pants)

Simmo80
聽Share

OMG! Taking wife to work approaching red traffic light and sh## it's not stopping, and peddle gone stiff. I pressed real hard and used hand brake! Stopped about 2 meter over line!

So... Hazard lights and 20mph all way home!

What do I check. I checked fluid rez. Still fine so am guessing a pump or something. How do I diagnose where do I look. Sounds like job for garage but I just wanted to cover all bases before emptying my wallet! I have bit of experience replaced engine loom, front shocks n springs, pads discs all basic stuff.

Can anyone help please 馃檹 while I recover with strong coffee (probs won't help )lol

could be the brake servo unit ..look for a split vacuum聽 from enine to servo hose .. if you press the brake pedal and keep pressure on it then start the car you should feel the pedal drop slightly wich means the servo is working.. ( servo is that big black round drum behind the brake fluid reservoir )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferretfloozy said:

could be the brake servo unit ..look for a split vacuum聽 from enine to servo hose .. if you press the brake pedal and keep pressure on it then start the car you should feel the pedal drop slightly wich means the servo is working.. ( servo is that big black round drum behind the brake fluid reservoir )

Yes just been doing bit of research. Pedal don't go nowhere engine running or not just stays pressured. Can get the brakes to slightly work by pushing real hard. It's 1.8 tdci lynx engine. Vacuum pump is at front of engine near dipstick. I think I unscrewed the vacuum hose from the pump the one that has valve half way. And don't seem to be no vacuum coming from the pump. Can't get to the servo side of hose. Not yet anyway. But wouldn't they be vacuum coming from pump with engine running?

This section seems to have died off. Don't get much help or replies on here no more 馃槙

25 minutes ago, Simmo80 said:

Don't get much help or replies on here no more

I seem to remember helping you not so very long ago (15th March) when you were looking for parts. I gave you the link to the catalogue, the Ford finis number etc. and did you even acknowledge my reply ? 馃

You have been a member here for 3 years, and from what I can see you only visit when you want help.

• Like 3

I was going to reply

Was

• Like 2

I wasn't.聽 I rarely post in this section.聽馃き

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/5/2024 at 8:46 AM, Simmo80 said:

approaching red traffic light and sh## it's not stopping, and peddle gone stiff. I pressed real hard and used hand brake! Stopped about 2 meter over line!

the brakes are likely 100% normal - but nature wasn't helping you press the pedal - I guess servo vac went walkabout - its incredible how this simple bit helps quite so much

tractors don't really have inlet manifold vac (nor do turbo cars) - so now we get an unreliable vac pump - seems like you need a new one (or a hose)

• Like 1

If, as you say, there is little or no vacuum at the pump with the engine running, then there is your problem.

You need to remove the pump and check the drive, but it's likely the pump is worn out.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2024 at 1:15 PM, DaveT70 said:

I was going to reply

Was

Not you lol. You did comment. Just I think it used to be more active.

Anyhow, was taking off the pump today and as I was talking the bolts off they seems to be a lot of pressure pushing the pump off and downwards. So Iv stopped for now to find out if this is normal. Had to really push it back into place to put the top bolt back in. I am guessing plunger is in push position and if pump is seized it's pushing back? Does this sound correct or is they something else wrong?

On 5/7/2024 at 12:07 PM, unofix said:

I seem to remember helping you not so very long ago (15th March) when you were looking for parts. I gave you the link to the catalogue, the Ford finis number etc. and did you even acknowledge my reply ? 馃

You have been a member here for 3 years, and from what I can see you only visit when you want help.

I have committed on few things I have experience with. But I don't have a lot of experience. But I am happy to share a comment if I know what to say.聽

On a more serious note, I didn't comment on this thread before as the 1.8 TDCI uses a very odd vac pump that I don't have any direct experience with.聽 It's totally different to to the ones fitted to the 1.6 & 2.0 TDCI MK2 Focus's.

Looks like this for those that haven't seen one -聽FORD TRANSIT CONNECT MK1 Vacuum Pump Assy 1882889 93BB-2A451-AD NEW GENUINE | eBay

FORD TRANSIT CONNECT MK1 Vacuum Pump Assy 1882889 93BB-2A451-AD NEW GENUINE - Picture 2 of 5

As far as I can tell, the plunger gets pushed by an extra cam at the end of the camshaft.聽 It's a an eccentric round cam, not pear shaped like valve cams.聽 So I don't know if the tension on the plunger is normal.聽 But would say that the pump needs to be removed in line with the plunger, rather than straight outwards.聽 I'd also suggest trying to rotate the engine in case the plunger is currently in it's most extended position.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

On a more serious note, I didn't comment on this thread before as the 1.8 TDCI uses a very odd vac pump that I don't have any direct experience with.聽 It's totally different to to the ones fitted to the 1.6 & 2.0 TDCI MK2 Focus's.

Looks like this for those that haven't seen one -聽FORD TRANSIT CONNECT MK1 Vacuum Pump Assy 1882889 93BB-2A451-AD NEW GENUINE | eBay

FORD TRANSIT CONNECT MK1 Vacuum Pump Assy 1882889 93BB-2A451-AD NEW GENUINE - Picture 2 of 5

As far as I can tell, the plunger gets pushed by an extra cam at the end of the camshaft.聽 It's a an eccentric round cam, not pear shaped like valve cams.聽 So I don't know if the tension on the plunger is normal.聽 But would say that the pump needs to be removed in line with the plunger, rather than straight outwards.聽 I'd also suggest trying to rotate the engine in case the plunger is currently in it's most extended position.

Not really sure how to rotate the shaft. But yes that's the correct pump in the picture. I have one ordered and when it comes I will double check and proceed with your advice. Thinking of just turning engine over a little bit in the hope that plunger will be in different position. But without turning it manually it would still be random position. I watched a video where he refurbished a leaking pump on Galaxy 1.8 and it looked like his came off without any pressure.

The top bolt has to be removed but the bottom bolt looks like you can loosen it and unhook it. But that didn't seem like was possible with the pressure from the plunger. Hoping plunger is in good working order and if not, iam hoping it's replaceable and not a job for getting to the shaft to replace it.

Thanks btw. I do look at some of the other threads, threads on battery drains and fans not working but I can't really comment with anything useful lol.

Although I hope reading my problems helps others with same or similar problems.

I try searching through others first but I must admit iam not very good with the search engine on here.

• Like 1

You can rotate the engine using a socket and a bar on the crankshaft pulley bolt.聽 Will probably need to jack up and remove the drivers side wheel to do that, but can then get the shafts lined up exactly where you want.

The plunger probably can't be removed without removing the camshaft, looking at the shape of it.聽 Hopefully there's nothing wrong with that though.

Thinking about it, there must be a spring inside the vac pump to push the plunger back.聽 The cam will only push it out.聽 So I reckon that's what causing the tension.

If you remove the cam cover, you can see exactly when the vac pump cam is at it's lowest point, and will be easiest to remove and refit.

It's no problem.聽 I don't really get involved with forum politics.聽 If I know an answer I'll post it.聽:smile:

• Like 1

Conclusion! It was the pump. The pressure when taking it of was the old pump falling to bits and the spring pushing it off.

Thanks to everyone who helped and hope this helps. Btw I didn't have to move coolant pipe. But the bottom bolt was difficult and you need a short 10mm open ended spanner to remove it.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club