Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Error messages after brake pad change

Paul Sturge

Hi, I have recently had my front and rear pads changed ahead of a mot, and 5 mins after picking up car from garage I started to get the following error messages come up, Hill start assist not available and anti collision assist not available, I also have the yellow spanner light on, I have noticed the car is not performing since, I took it back to the garage and they done a diagnostic test and cleared the errors, only for them to come back on various test runs. The mechanic has admitted it looks like he has done something wrong, but claims its a coincidence, I am not so sure, as car was performing perfectly prior to pad change. I have also had one instance of losing power and getting a message regarding brake applied power reduced, which was concerning. He has said he will arrange to book car into ford dealer for a diagnostic test, and he will then repair/replace part if required. My question is has anyone else experienced this problem after changing pads. I have a ford focus st line x 1.5 182ps manual?

Did the garage tell you the errors they cleared? Presumably they didn't think they were relevant to the faults you're seeing.

The first thought that occurs to me is that maybe one or more of the wheel ABS sensors has been disturbed, maybe a connector knocked and not contacting properly.

• Like 1

No unfortunately they did not, the garage in question probably picked up on the fact my knowledge of all things cars is lacking, and I was concerned at how the mechanic kept saying my car has too much technology, the diagnostic testing apparently took place at another place up the road, all very vague to be honest. Your not the first person to suggest  the ABS sensors being disturbed, I was wondering whether this would cause the error messages. Thanks for the reply 👍 

Are you able to take a look at the ABS sensors cables/connectors? If the mechanic damaged something, most likely is going to be something close to the rotors/calipers since that is where the job was done.

It should be pretty easy to spot all the cables which go to that area. Might not be that easy to see the connectors though. If there is no way for you to take a look at the ABS sensors and cables, then either the mechanic should fix whatever went wrong (at this point I would not be sure of the competency of this mechanic) or maybe take it to a ford dealer for a diagnostic. They are more expensive but at least they have access to all the proper tools and they know how to use them (at least I want to think that :D)

Does your car have electric park brake? Did the mechanic put the brake into service mode? Did he take it out of service mode? If it is still in service mode there should be another yellow indicator in the dash. Since you don't mention it, I believe this is not the case.

Thanks for all the ideas/information, as stated above I know absolutely nothing about how a car works, I don't know anything of what the mechanic done other than telling me he managed to clear the error messages after a diagnostic test only for them to reappear during a test run, he did not talk to me about codes either. It does have an electric park brake. The guy told me he was going to book it into Hartwell ford for testing, but he has not contacted me, so I am going to book it in, and if they indicate the faults are due to the pads being incorrectly fitted, then I am going to send him the bill. Thanks

• Like 2

I am booked into ford on the 5th June, having signed up to ford pass the dealership can see the fault and have already diagnosed it as a faulty brake pedal switch, so I am very relieved.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club