Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 2009 - Crunching In To Reverse

Tye

Hello everyone - I am new here and do not know much about cars so please be gentle lol.

My fiesta is a 2009 Zetec diesel 1.4. I only drive it around 1 day a week as my fiancee drives it around 50miles a day but I noticed when she drove off yesterday it crunched going into reverse. I have had the car all day today and it seems to being doing this about 50% of the time when putting it into reverse. All the other gears are fine.

When I push my foot hard on the clutch it seems to solve it most of the time.

The car is going in for a major service as it has done 30000 miles now and is overdue. We have also had a lot of snow so I believe she has was revving on the clutch when she got stuck twice but there was no smoke and I dont believe she did this for long periods as she knows it will burn out.

Can anyone tell me what they think this could be?

Should I be worried?

Will the grinding noise cause any damage?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

this is due to driver error in a way.

Ford Motor Company state that you should allow the engine to idle with your foot fully depressed on the clutch for 5 seconds to allow the gearbox to be able to match reverse gear without the grinding. i guarantee you this will solve the problem

too many people just bang their foot on the clutch and then put it straight into reverse

hope this helps

The Fiesta has a IB5 gearbox which has no syncro mesh for reverse gear unlike the forward gears, you have to allow several seconds before engaging. Regards Jouxy.

• 1 year later...

this is due to driver error in a way.

Ford Motor Company state that you should allow the engine to idle with your foot fully depressed on the clutch for 5 seconds to allow the gearbox to be able to match reverse gear without the grinding. i guarantee you this will solve the problem

too many people just bang their foot on the clutch and then put it straight into reverse

hope this helps

you can with a mondeo, cougar, focus - these have lift-up for reverse... has the fiesta been designed differently for some reason? :wacko: