Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Idle

Sadz00

My 2000 Focus has suffred from a poor idle for 9 months. I have read many threads on the possible solutions, so I had recently cleaned the IACV and also the throttle body but with no success. But i may have made a breakthrough but i need a little clarification. I have unplugged the TPS and have noticed that my car still drives with a hanging idle. Therefore, does that mean that it definately is the throttle position sensor or is it something else because it drives the same way whether the TPS is on or off.

It's all a little confusing. All help is appreciated!

My 2000 Focus has suffred from a poor idle for 9 months. I have read many threads on the possible solutions, so I had recently cleaned the IACV and also the throttle body but with no success. But i may have made a breakthrough but i need a little clarification. I have unplugged the TPS and have noticed that my car still drives with a hanging idle. Therefore, does that mean that it definately is the throttle position sensor or is it something else because it drives the same way whether the TPS is on or off.

It's all a little confusing. All help is appreciated!

bad idle try the emission hose under the throttle body with the car running this collapses check the pcv valve as well which may need replaced ive found on many that putting in new genuine ford spark plug leads solves the problem make sure the spark plugs are gapped at 1.0mm not 1.3mm thats the old setting should be 1.0mm now most pregapped plugs are 1.3

Yep changing the pcv valve and hose cured my bad idle. I had also cleaned out the iacv and tps.

The hose behind the throttle body has proved quite diidficult to remove so i've sprayed some Carb cleaner on it instead. But i didn't notice any change in RPM. Also, i cannot feel any suction so i assume that the hose has not split. I've asked a local mechanic and he said the hose looks fairly new so it has already been replaced. I havent's yet checked the pvc valve yet.

Does the gap in the spark plugs affect the idle that much?

About the TPS, should i clean it out or buy a new one?

the plug gap makes a big difference as does the leads ive just replaced mine all 4 68 quid from foird and it makes a huge difference

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club