Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Focus Tdci 1.8 - P2263

daveybadlad

Hello all,

I have a 2004 Ford focus 1.8 TDCi. It has about 42k miles on the clock and I know the car's history, it hasn't had a hard life.

It is showing the Engine lamp and when I scan the DTCs using Formidable it comes up with P2263, Turbo/SuperCharger Boost performance.

Now I have done as much homework as I can on this, I have searched on-line for other such conditions and its not easy to come to any firm conclusion what causes this. Things on my list.

Turbo vanes getting coked up with soot and sticking - Well I can manually move the turbo vane arm, although the vacuum actuator resists me, it seems to move freely. Not conclusive but it doesn't seem to be sticking anyway. When I start the car, I see the turbo arm moving from fully open to closed. I can't be sure its fully closed, but the car drives quite well low down with plenty of pull.

EGR valve sticking - I have pulled off the pipe going from EGR to inter-cooler and had a look inside EGR as best I can. Although grimy, it didn't seem too dirty. When I manually apply vacuum to the EGR valve I can see it opening and when I release the vacuum it snaps back. Again, not sure if it is perfect working order but doesn't appear stuck.

Splits in pipes and hoses - I have checked all the hoses I can get at for damage, they all seem to be in good working order.

EGR and Turbo actuators/solenoids - These are the 2 valves on top of the engine block. I have used a vacuum gauge to check to make sure these are doing something. Again when the vehicle is started, I see both of these have vacuum, enough.. not sure but there is vacuum.

MAP sensor - Using formidable to monitor the MAP value during driving. This is where I don't know what to look for.

At idle the MAP value is 10kpa. When driving it will go up to about 22-24kpa and then go to 0kpa. So If I was in 3rd gear accelerating, up until about 3000 rpm, the map would be increasing then it goes to 0 kpa. After about 3000rpm the engine doesn't really pull at all and watching the Desired fuel reading I can actually see the engine controller is reducing the amount of fuel fed to the engine. Can any experts help me with that to help me understand what I should be seeing?

Also can anyone comment on the DPFE or pressure feedback sensor. Does a 2004 focus tdci have one of these, where is it located at and could it contribute to this problem.

Sorry for the massive brain dump, I've tried to do as much as I can to understand what is going on, now I need some help.

Thanks

Dave

1.8TDCI's dont have a DPF :lol:

i bet that has added to your confusion.

Well at least I don't need to worry about that anymore lol!

How does the 1.8TDCi know if the EGR valve is opening and closing properly, is this not what the DPFE did?

it would only appear as a DTC code probably not found on the trip computer diagnostics but only on Fords world record (for expensive cost) Computer.

Other than that, you can physically see (i have heard and read many a time) the actual EGR valve sticking... However that was most likely the only part that ever worked on my focus so I cant comment for definite on that :)

Yeah, I've only seen 1 DTC appear(I'm using the Formidable software), its P2263. Unfortunately finding any worthy documentation to say what that DTC means is not easy. It seems to be a rather vague DTC which could have a number of symptoms.

One thing that makes me curious, when the engine is running I can hear the little EGR and turbo actuators making a noise, I think its the turbo one, only way I can describe is its like a duck quacking! I wondered if the valve inside is slipping or not working properly. But when I put on a vacuum gauge it seems to hold vacuum OK.

Seems like the focus gives quite a lot of trouble, I really should be careful what I think is a bargain!!

i would hazard a guess and say turbo boost pressure sensor :lol: ive seen them on other forums give stupid faults.

I agree with JohnH, sensors are the greatest pain in the jacksie nowadays, so it may be worth replacing it (if you can get to it that is).

Otherwise I agree with the comment of "worthy documentation" whats the point in creating an error called "unexpected error" or "generic error" - if your going to make the effort of giving it an error code, is it really that hard to give each specific error a reason?!? or at least something more than it currenty has?!?

Seems like the focus gives quite a lot of trouble, I really should be careful what I think is a bargain!!

Not really, petrol variants are nigh on trouble free, I should know I've had both the Mk1 1.8 [then a brief flirtation with a Volvo S40 turbo diesel]but then came back to Focus with my current Mk2 1.6.

Your problem is you have bought the most troublesome diesel they do, the 1.8 [ I've come to that conclusion, purely based on it being the one that appears to have the most problem threads on this forum] hardly scientific proof I know....but there you go.

Of course I dare say jeeb [since gone to Kia Ceed petrol]and hawker [since gone to Mazda 6 petrol] would argue the Focus 1.6 TDCi is the most troublesome TDCi. But they both had affairs with a right couple of turbo diesel slags. Anyway being thoroughly chastened they are both now in recovery, cuddling little petrol diamonds. :D

That said, I could in the future buy a diesel Focus, it's just the case of being aware of what keeps a diesel engined car happy. Cars are like women [and blokes for that matter] if you get a bad one, best thing to do [like it's owner before did] is get shut of it.

:lol: Yeah true!

The boost sensor you refer to, is this the MAP sensor or is there another boost sensing device somewhere in the setup?

by MAP sensor i assume you mean the one that is on the air filter aka MAF Sensor (Mass Air Flow Sensor)...if it is then i beleive their is another sensor located somewhere on the turbo...

ive never had this problem...and touch wood i dont...so i dont know the location or specifics about this sensor.

Not really, petrol variants are nigh on trouble free, I should know I've had both the Mk1 1.8 [then a brief flirtation with a Volvo S40 turbo diesel]but then came back to Focus with my current Mk2 1.6.

Your problem is you have bought the most troublesome diesel they do, the 1.8 [ I've come to that conclusion, purely based on it being the one that appears to have the most problem threads on this forum] hardly scientific proof I know....but there you go.

Of course I dare say jeeb [since gone to Kia Ceed petrol]and hawker [since gone to Mazda 6 petrol] would argue the Focus 1.6 TDCi is the most troublesome TDCi. But they both had affairs with a right couple of turbo diesel slags. Anyway being thoroughly chastened they are both now in recovery, cuddling little petrol diamonds. :D

That said, I could in the future buy a diesel Focus, it's just the case of being aware of what keeps a diesel engined car happy. Cars are like women [and blokes for that matter] if you get a bad one, best thing to do [like it's owner before did] is get shut of it.

haha - I so cant argue with any of that ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club