Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Number Plate Footers

PaulB1803

According to plate suppliers on the net, its illegal to have a footer at the bottom of your plate. How come its ok for dealers to put their name, tel number etc, but not something of our own choice? Doesn't make sense to me as long as its not offensive. :(

According to plate suppliers on the net, its illegal to have a footer at the bottom of your plate. How come its ok for dealers to put their name, tel number etc, but not something of our own choice? Doesn't make sense to me as long as its not offensive. :(

it must have the makers name and address on it so i dare say thats how they get away with it

it must have the makers name and address on it so i dare say thats how they get away with it

how would it go if you put your own body kit on it?? :D

I like American plates, they can customise them so much and put what ever footers they like/can find on due to using licence plate frames.

Our british ones are so huge and ugly.

as Stef said, legislations dictate that the provider of the number plate must now stamp all plates with their details, so for example, if Halfords printed off a plate, and the police found the vehicle was used illegaly (forged plates?) they can track this back to your local Halfords, who can investigate, and go as far as using CCTV footage to identify the person who ordered / bought the plates. It all ties in to help a successful prosecution, but if nothing else, gives the industry the confidence to try and stamp out fraudulent activity.

However it is illegal for you to say have your forum alias as your footer, because it doesnt "conform to standard" and as such can cause "distraction to other drivers" and "obstruction to an officer in their line of duty" (yeah, a friend got done recently...) mind you he did have the plate:

AB12 CDE

---F*** off im having a bad day---

What you see with a lot of used car dealers is that, rather than replace the number plate, they put a label with their own name over the footer on the plate, be that Motorpoint, Arnold Clark etc

I wonder if we are then able to do the same and stick on whatever we want, as long as it's not offensive?

As long as the sticker can be removed to reveal the original plate manufactuer, then no harm, no foul!

a garage should only put there own name on a plate if they have a license to produce plates,if people want extra text on the plate,the way we get around it is to use a plate frame that has an extra space below for your own text,that way its not part of the plate itself.

http://www.nplates4u.com/

.. (yeah, a friend got done recently...) mind you he did have the plate:

AB12 CDE

---F*** off im having a bad day---

:D

I think hat was probably more about the content than the footer. I'm assuming the 'whole' word was used and not just F*** if so it's the same as swearing in a public place.

I bought my plates on eBay (fully road legal) because it was much cheaper than paying Halfords for example, even though I can get trade discount.

I'm quite sure mine don't have an address, but they have the name of the company in italics. I'm a little worried now about my MOT coming up this month. Let's hope the garage don't sting me for a set of new plates because the current plates aren't to the legal requirement. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I can't remember who said it but the American plates are awesome, they can customize them so much. I wish we could do that in this country!

Dan

I can't remember who said it but the American plates are awesome, they can customize them so much. I wish we could do that in this country!

Dan

That'd be me. :D They look so much neater too

lol my mate was lucky, he was told they were more bothered that he had replaced the "printers" details with his little 'vendetta against the world'. they gave him a producer opportunity, told him to bring the car to the local nick with 'proper plates' and that would be the end of the matter... and advised him not to take his bad day out on everyone else on the road... lol

as for Danny, I am sure you would be fine, its not a legal requirement to have the producers details there for cars older than 2008 (if memory serves correct) because its only a recent change, and I dont think you will be done for not having one there, it just makes the police job easier if there is one, and the car is involved in something not legit, so even if your plates dont have a "made by danny @ plates r us" on the bottom, dont worry, you wont be hauled for illegal plates... lol

Just dont put 'my friend Joe likes to expiriment with boys and girls daily' as that might not be allowed...

• 1 month later...

I bought my plates on eBay (fully road legal) because it was much cheaper than paying Halfords for example, even though I can get trade discount.

I'm quite sure mine don't have an address, but they have the name of the company in italics. I'm a little worried now about my MOT coming up this month. Let's hope the garage don't sting me for a set of new plates because the current plates aren't to the legal requirement. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Do they have the makers postcode on them? That's all you need for the address.

Cheers

Rog

Do they have the makers postcode on them? That's all you need for the address.

Cheers

Rog

Hey mate, yeah they have a postcode at the bottom including their website address. My car went through its MOT a few weeks ago and all was well thankfully.

All the best,

Dan

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club