Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise Underneath The Car Occasionally, A Scraping Sound

Krose

Occasionally I get a noise like i just ran over an object, a scrape noise which does not stay and infact the first time I thaught it was from radio but now it is definately there somewhere behind me.

Checked under car and nothing hanging down, the engine was up to temp when happened today and was traveling 40-50mph and was not braking but i may have had my foot off accelerator letting car slow itself.

Last week had engine and gearbox mounts replaced after severe judder on pulling away.

It's not always there and it's over quickly, you would swear you had just run over something

Anyone know what it could be?

Update been to garage and of course could not replicate sound, got it checked over and nothing could be found, but exhaust had a lot of play so i got them to replace rubber mounts

Driving home 20-30 mph that scraping noise again twice, I had the windows open and still cant decide where it was coming from, 1st time I thaught front passenger side and 2nd time i thaught rear drivers side.

This has only started this week, a few days after having new engine and gearbox mounts replaced and power steering belt resitting as it had either slipped or was not put on correct originally. Could the noise be connected to either? To confirm when incidents happened car was not braking and not under accleration either.

This is really concerning me and getting reluctent to drive certainly at any high speed

Another update, leaving petrol station today I heard a rubbing/scraping which increased in speed as I increased in speed, this time I was able to press clutch in and noise was still there and brakes definately not on as I was traveling uphill. Although the noise was different I assume this is becasue of the low speed i was doing.

So it seems that something is expanding when it gets hot?

Where can I look next?

Occasionally I get a noise like i just ran over an object, a scrape noise which does not stay and infact the first time I thaught it was from radio but now it is definately there somewhere behind me.

Checked under car and nothing hanging down, the engine was up to temp when happened today and was traveling 40-50mph and was not braking but i may have had my foot off accelerator letting car slow itself.

Last week had engine and gearbox mounts replaced after severe judder on pulling away.

It's not always there and it's over quickly, you would swear you had just run over something

Anyone know what it could be?

Update been to garage and of course could not replicate sound, got it checked over and nothing could be found, but exhaust had a lot of play so i got them to replace rubber mounts

Driving home 20-30 mph that scraping noise again twice, I had the windows open and still cant decide where it was coming from, 1st time I thaught front passenger side and 2nd time i thaught rear drivers side.

This has only started this week, a few days after having new engine and gearbox mounts replaced and power steering belt resitting as it had either slipped or was not put on correct originally. Could the noise be connected to either? To confirm when incidents happened car was not braking and not under accleration either.

This is really concerning me and getting reluctent to drive certainly at any high speed

Another update, leaving petrol station today I heard a rubbing/scraping which increased in speed as I increased in speed, this time I was able to press clutch in and noise was still there and brakes definately not on as I was traveling uphill. Although the noise was different I assume this is becasue of the low speed i was doing.

So it seems that something is expanding when it gets hot?

Where can I look next?

hi above the exhaust all the way along is a heat shield sometimes come lose cheak that :)

Asked if they checked the heatshield when mechanic changed exhaust mounts and he said was fine

Update today

The noise is there all the time now, especially hear it when traveling above 20mph

Sounds like rubbing/scraping and probably from rear drivers side with occasional much higher pitched and louder scrape/squeel that lasts less than a second

Makes no difference when clutch in or out, makes no difference on turning,noise increases speed as i increase speed and braking makes no difference, seems only the forward motion of the car dictates the speed of the scrape

Anyone know what this could be?

Sorted, was rear wheel bearing

Spilled out in a thousand pieces when drum removed

Hope that helps anyone who gets this noise in future

Sorted, was rear wheel bearing

Spilled out in a thousand pieces when drum removed

Hope that helps anyone who gets this noise in future

glad you sorted it :)