Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark Plugs Hard To Shift

big col

hi again all, hope u r all well. :)

just need a little advice on my spark plugs....they were changed about 6 months ago,at my cars annual service, and although i dont need to replace them yet (they are ngk double plats'), i want to put the motorcraft original plugs in, which i have already.

i gave the plug-areas a quick blast with compressed air to remove any gunk around them, but cannot remove the plugs. i dont want to force them for obvious reasons...i have been advised to put a little wd40 on them and leave them for a couple of hours..i will be leaving them over-night...is this ok?

any help or advice would be much appreciated.

cheers guys

colin

i would certainly try giving them a soak with wd40 or some kind of penetrating fluid. when refitting if you give them a little smear of copper grease this will stop them seizing and make your life much easier next time.

Get a can of air duster , turn it upside down spray the spark plug , this should start to freeze the plug the try and crack it open , reducing the temp of the plug will cause the metal to shrink and allow it to be removed easier. Do it with a cooled engine though.

cheers matey...yeah, i have some copper grease...i will check the gap on the fitted plugs (if i can get the buggers out!haha) because i think it might be wrong..the correct gap should be .52

thanks again

col

i would certainly try giving them a soak with wd40 or some kind of penetrating fluid. when refitting if you give them a little smear of copper grease this will stop them seizing and make your life much easier next time.

thanks for the useful tip preee, i have a can already, useful stuff those cans of compressed air. :) .

cheers mate

Get a can of air duster , turn it upside down spray the spark plug , this should start to freeze the plug the try and crack it open , reducing the temp of the plug will cause the metal to shrink and allow it to be removed easier. Do it with a cooled engine though.

IMHO i wouldn't use copper grease on them , it could allow you to over torque them when refiiting then allowing the heat on engine start up to snap them. If they are torqued to correct value when dry fitment takes place then they will come out , but it seems they may have been over tightened.

yeah, i think they were over-tightened too...thanks for your advice on the copper grease, but i think i will put a little bit on anyway, for my peace-of-mind...i do not have a torque wrench, so i am gonna use my common sense on how tight..hoping that will be ok.

IMHO i wouldn't use copper grease on them , it could allow you to over torque them when refiiting then allowing the heat on engine start up to snap them. If they are torqued to correct value when dry fitment takes place then they will come out , but it seems they may have been over tightened.

i have changed hundreds of plugs and always used copper grease, not once have i ever used a torque wrench on them though :lol: any plug i have fitted i have always been able to remove again, never had one seize.

cheers stef... :)

i have changed hundreds of plugs and always used copper grease, not once have i ever used a torque wrench on them though :lol: any plug i have fitted i have always been able to remove again, never had one seize.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club