Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Wheel Bearing?

grandtrousers

Sorry if this has been covered before but I could not find any information in the search link.

I am noticing a "grumbling/grating" noise coming from the rear of my 2000 (year) 2.0 litre petrol saloon which has just done 33000 miles. It's not me or any passengers so I am looking at replacing the rear wheel bearings. I see from google searches that there was a recall for this which involved replacing the bearings and putting a "shield" in to protect the bearing from the ingress of water and dirt.

I know my car is out of warranty but has anyone had this recall done? Is it worth contacting my local Ford dealer to see if it can still be done?

I am fairly competent at repairs but I understand the bearings need pressing out, I don't have a press and to be honest its !Removed! freezing outside at present so I have been looking at prices of bearing kits which vary massively and having the work done at a local garage. I can't see any kits that seem to have the "shield mod", does anyone know of any reasonable cheap kits?

I will get both sides done and have the rear pads replaced at the same time.

Thanks on advance for any info/advice

Sorry if this has been covered before but I could not find any information in the search link.

I am noticing a "grumbling/grating" noise coming from the rear of my 2000 (year) 2.0 litre petrol saloon which has just done 33000 miles. It's not me or any passengers so I am looking at replacing the rear wheel bearings. I see from google searches that there was a recall for this which involved replacing the bearings and putting a "shield" in to protect the bearing from the ingress of water and dirt.

I know my car is out of warranty but has anyone had this recall done? Is it worth contacting my local Ford dealer to see if it can still be done?

I am fairly competent at repairs but I understand the bearings need pressing out, I don't have a press and to be honest its !Removed! freezing outside at present so I have been looking at prices of bearing kits which vary massively and having the work done at a local garage. I can't see any kits that seem to have the "shield mod", does anyone know of any reasonable cheap kits?

I will get both sides done and have the rear pads replaced at the same time.

Thanks on advance for any info/advice

I have changed numerous focus rear bearings. The shield you are talking about is available from ford, its only a couple of quid. the shield fits behind the ABS ring. IIRC some stub axles (presumably the revised ones) have a rubber seal as part of them which fits inside the metal shield. So i guess you will need the new stub axles if you want the shield to work.

see this link for the type with the rubber seal that fits into the shield.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-Rear-Stub-Axle-1998-2005-/360175949246?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53dc28d5be#ht_965wt_1169

and this link for the type without.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-Rear-Stub-Axle-1998-2001-/360176674458?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53dc33e69a#ht_965wt_1169

HI,

I had the same issue with my 2000 Focus 2.0 16v.

I bought the cover alone from Foed, and a magnetic ring, then I had to do the same to the other side, however there is a place near us that do the bearing and the magnetic ring etc for approx £30. The place I went to is Central Auto Supplies, places in Kettering, Corby, Wellingborough etc, good quailty bearing as well, I did fit some poor quality units but they didn't seem too good.

Another thing as you say is pressing them out, I tried, couldn't do it but gave a local independent garage £15 and he pressed bearings in and out for both hubs.

Be careful not to leave it to long before doing as the bearing will fail, mine did very rapidly, say 2 weeks, lots of wheel wobble and the abs sensot which is fixed throughthe back was damaged, it is a magnet but connected electrically and cost approx £120 from Ford, Ford part only, you can buy copy parts for approx £30 but do not know if it will work with the system, so bought one from a breakers for £1.00.

Any others queries, just ask.

Thanks

That will be Focus not a DOcus, maybe a new model name!!

sounds likely to be bearing related, however you can get them replaced for £35 from the dealer (someone just got this done, there is a thread somewhere that I have only just replied in....)

sounds likely to be bearing related, however you can get them replaced for £35 from the dealer (someone just got this done, there is a thread somewhere that I have only just replied in....)

Is that £35 including parts and labour per side including vat?

If its gonna cost me £70 all in then its off to the dealer!

(my last job in the car industry was with Ford :rolleyes: )

Thanks everyone for the help so far - very much appreciated

Update: on 09/02/12 I managed to get two rear wheel bearing kits (including shields) for £48.00. Then drove directly to a local garage with a good reputation and agreed a price (£50.00) for them to fit both bearings and the new rear brake pads I had purchased and so booked it in for the repairs to be done on 15/02/12.

As soon as I set off from the garage to go home (a distance of just under one mile) I heard a "clattering" noise from the rear and the ABS warning light coming on - DOH!!! :angry:

I dont know how effective these shields without the stub axles with O ring type seals in them. The O ring fits snug inside the shield.. seems otherwise pointless to me

Well I had the parts fitted (and a new ABS sensor). Now the ABS pump kicks in when I brake after driving a very short distance followed by the ABS and traction control lights - ARGH!!!!!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club