Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dangerous Dashboard Illumination

fishfingers

I just got a 2010 Fiesta, and I've noticed it suffers from the same dangerous problem my mother's 2010 Focus has.

For some reason, even though both cars are not fitted with automatic headlamps, the car is able to detect when it is dark and illuminate the dashboard accordingly.

As someone who has extensively driven cars with automatic headlamps in the past, I made the error on two occasions of driving off from indoor car parks at night, not realising that my headlamps were off.

I think this is a dangerous design flaw from Ford. If the car is able to detect the light level, then why not complete the system and make automatic headlamps standard across the line? And if not that, why should the dashboard illuminate if the headlamps are not turned on?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah there's been a couple of times I've left car parks with my lights off. You're not alone!

Main reason probably? Cost....

I make it a habit of alwayssss turning them on lol

I thought the dials on models without auto headlights just lit up as soon as you unlocked the car?

Ones with auto headlights have the dark coloured lump on the centre front of the dash to detect light - so without that how would a non automatic headlight fiesta be able to detect how dark it was to decide whether to light up the dials?

:-s

Strange, the other day I thought I heard a quiet beeping when my lights were off driving along the path between the carpark at work and the road, but it may have just been something on the radio. This needs some investigating now! That said, the dash is always illuminated anyway.

As far as I can tell, the dials are simply illuminated all the time. They don't detect light.

There's a green light on the dash that tells you whether you have your lights on or not.

There's many cars on the market that work in this way.

As far as Ican tell, the dials are simply illuminated all the time. They don't detect light.

Yup thats what I think - and the brighter the weather the less you notice your dials are illuminated.

Dash is illuminated as soon as you unlock the car, then it dims when lights are on are the little green icon appears.

I just got a 2010 Fiesta, and I've noticed it suffers from the same dangerous problem my mother's 2010 Focus has.

For some reason, even though both cars are not fitted with automatic headlamps, the car is able to detect when it is dark and illuminate the dashboard accordingly.

As someone who has extensively driven cars with automatic headlamps in the past, I made the error on two occasions of driving off from indoor car parks at night, not realising that my headlamps were off.

I think this is a dangerous design flaw from Ford. If the car is able to detect the light level, then why not complete the system and make automatic headlamps standard across the line? And if not that, why should the dashboard illuminate if the headlamps are not turned on?

lol

Dash lights are always on.

Pay more attention?

Better than Vauxhalls (spit).

Their dash lights are way too bright all the time.

I prefer them being illuminated all the times, makes the dials always really clear, whether your going through a dark tunnel without headlights, or whether the sun is glaring off them you can always see your dials. Many modern cars I've seen have the same features.

If you go into menu on the stereo and change the illumination from auto to daylight it keeps them the same all the time

im usly way to interested in whats in front of me to be looking at all the pretty lights in my car

• 3 weeks later...

..."Ones with auto headlights have the dark coloured lump on the centre front of the dash to detect light - so without that how would a non automatic headlight fiesta be able to detect how dark it was to decide whether to light up the dials?

:-s

Iam told that lump is the part of the perimeter alarm, when i had to have it fixed at a dealers, the light detection unit is visible from outside. if you look at the rear view mirror fixture on the screen from outside you will see there is a small "eye" fitting thats the light detector

to the OP - surely the question is

why are you relying on the illumination of the dials to check whether you're headlights are on, when there is a dedicated indicator lamp (green, bottom of speedo) to tell you. thats like just relying on the clicking noise to tell you the indicators are on :blink: then complaining that you can't hear it over modern car radios :blink:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

to the OP - surely the question is

why are you relying on the illumination of the dials to check whether you're headlights are on, when there is a dedicated indicator lamp (green, bottom of speedo) to tell you. thats like just relying on the clicking noise to tell you the indicators are on :blink: then complaining that you can't hear it over modern car radios :blink:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Or the fact that...you can see...with the headlights on.....in the dark....lol

Or the fact that...you can see...with the headlights on.....in the dark....lol

maybe one of these going off every 5 minutes that the headlights are on would be required

evok.jpg

maybe one of these going off every 5 minutes that the headlights are on would be required

evok.jpg

lol forgot about that, awesome episode

Ones with auto headlights have the dark coloured lump on the centre front of the dash to detect light - so without that how would a non automatic headlight fiesta be able to detect how dark it was to decide whether to light up the dials?

Thats the sunlight sensor for the EATC climate control. the headlight dusk sensor is behind the rear view mirror, next to the infrared-refraction rain sensor for the auto wipers B)

Iam told that lump is the part of the perimeter alarm, when i had to have it fixed at a dealers, the light detection unit is visible from outside. if you look at the rear view mirror fixture on the screen from outside you will see there is a small "eye" fitting thats the light detector

Ohh I didn't realise that. Thanks for the info :-)

So is that lump sensing for movement when the car is alarmed?

Thats the sunlight sensor for the EATC climate control. the headlight dusk sensor is behind the rear view mirror, next to the infrared-refraction rain sensor for the auto wipers B)

Oh,

So it's either what you said or the perimeter alarm lol

the perimeter alarm only looks after the car's perimeter (doors, bonnet, hatch switches).

nothing to do with proximity/motion sensing.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club