Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Insurance

ijustwantafile

My car insurance is due at the end of the month and trying to find a cheap deal, I'm not a fan of gocompare or any of those comparison websites they seem to cost more than going directing through the site and also send me junk and seem to sell on my details after trying them. (I get stupid txts weeks after saying to claim for crashes I've never had)

I'm currently with bell and got my renewal in the post over the weekend and they're wanting £800 odd for 10 months insurance, which is odd as I checked the website and its £740 for 10 months.

Others I've checked out are:

Hastings £791 (12 months)

Elephant £768 (12 months) £681 (10 months)

Admeral £852 (12 months) £722 (10months)

Churchil £679 (12 months)

So far Churchil seems cheapest. will be phoning some insurance companies tonight to see which I can talk down even more.

I'm 21 with 4 years no claims so these prices aren't that bad, even more so when comparing them to my friends which seem to still be paying over £1,000

Does anyone have any tips or other insurance companies I can look into?

Hi Mike,

You have to bear in mind that the price of insurance will change daily, so although quoted £800 for the accelerator policy, you might have got a quote on a cheaper day afterwards!

Continue to use the comparison engines, then find the cheapest and take the quote directly to their site!

Once you have got that, phone up that insurer and advise them that for the same policy, soandso offered you the same cover for £50 - £80 less. see what they will knock off. Sometimes they hold their hands up, and you can try the next cheapest, others (Like I managed) offered to knock off the £80 from the policy and throw in an additional cover for no extra cost!

Play one against the other, and take your time to find the right policy, play them against each other, and see how low you can push them!

Actually this is a good thread to ask this in.

I also drive a Transit Van aswell as my Ford Fiesta, the insurance on the Van is up soon for renewal.

Unfortunately I had a bit of a ding in the van about 8 months ago, so they're going to want to up my premiums.

I can't really affort it to go up, does anyone here drive a van and who did you go with?

I might look into the comparison websites.

Hi Mike,

You have to bear in mind that the price of insurance will change daily, so although quoted £800 for the accelerator policy, you might have got a quote on a cheaper day afterwards!

Continue to use the comparison engines, then find the cheapest and take the quote directly to their site!

Once you have got that, phone up that insurer and advise them that for the same policy, soandso offered you the same cover for £50 - £80 less. see what they will knock off. Sometimes they hold their hands up, and you can try the next cheapest, others (Like I managed) offered to knock off the £80 from the policy and throw in an additional cover for no extra cost!

Play one against the other, and take your time to find the right policy, play them against each other, and see how low you can push them!

Hi,

You are more than welcome to give us a call for a quotation. Remember club members can receive up to a 15% discount.

Regards,

Dan.

Will bare that in mind Dan, feel free to PM me your company details and as soon as I am due renewal will give you guys a call! I presume I need to quote a particular code to get the discount?

those prices seem good for your age , I'm 27 have 9 years no claims drive the same model car as you and I just payed £640 for the year , mine may have been cheaper if not for a claim back in 2010 though!

Directline have offered it for £668 (12months) so after phoning around no one will beat that.

I phoned up my current insurance company and they were planning on renewing my policy and charging me £800 odd for 10month insurance but weren't going to tell me. well they sent a letter out but I didn't realise they had it down for just charging me without me confirming it!

cancelled the auto renewal now so looks like directline it is. the guy sadly wouldnt budge on the price but I think I wont find cheaper anyway.

Thats not too bad, auto renewal is everywhere, i would be shocked if anyone here can say their company do not auto renew there policy if paid on a card!

Im 23 got 3 years ncb but an accident on file, my cee'd was 28 quid cheaper to insure than the focus, that was with one year ncb, but cost 778 quid :-(

I've managed to get it down to £643 by dropping miles to 8,000 (with £250 excess). I'm tempted to go for a higher excess making it £584 (excess is £450).

I made that mistake, had a 250 quid excess, needed the money that year, so had to put the excess to 750 to be able to afford it, then I had an accident :(

Its something I am definately looking into when I am due to renew in the summer...

The only thing I am yet to understand, is do we need to contact them and quote a particular phrase or discount code, or what details do we need (for example our members number in our profiles address?)

Managed to get it for £482 from direct line with £350 vol excess best I've ever gotten by far!!

I'm a lot older than you so my cost isn't relevant but I found Aviva to be the cheapest for me and they included recovery in free.

Ah, what the heck.....£225 :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I posted earlier that I was looking for insurance for my Transit Van :)

I got a good deal with iVan Van Insurance, I'm dead chuffed :D

My insurance is due at the end of the month and I've just had my renewal through from my current insurer. They want £435 for the year. A quick shop round and for exactly the same cover with the same excesses, etc I have got a new policy for £278. My current insurer seemed surprised when I phoned them to cancel....

For the record, I'm 37 with a clean licence and 13 year no claims. Fully comp with business use. 12k miles p.a.

This is my first renewal since I got the Fiesta and was expecting iro £300 so I'm quite happy that it's below that! :D

Couple of years back i got a renewal from the company and it was double the previous years.

Suffice to say i didn't stay with them.

Funny thing was when i rang them to decline the renewal, they were genuinely surprised i wasn't going to continue with them, and when they said maybe they could match the ones i was swapping to, and i told them that it was £40 cheaper than their previous years cover they went very quiet.

To be truthful most insurance companies don't actually want you to renew as the risk of a claim increases so they give silly quotes to make you look elsewhere.