Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Change A Diesel Fuel Filter 1.8 Tdci 2008

martyntdci

Remove the metal bracket ontop of filter, 2* 8mm blots. Flat head scredriver and gently prise the electrical connector off. There are two fuel lines ontop of the filter housing, the 1 on the right hand side push the 2 white clips in and pull off othe fuel pipe can be left on. Then hold the top of the housing in place and screw the cap off and remove old filter. The new filter soak with diesel, remove the little white cap on the filter and fill up the filter housing, now insert the filter remember to add the new seal also. hold in place the top of the filter housing and screw the cap back on, reconnect the fuel pipe and electrical plug. Now you need a 8mm plastic pipe approx lenght 2ft, on the back of the cap you will find a nipple, push pipe on and start sucking/ using a siringe i had to do this for 8-10 mins until most of the air is out...... Now turn you key so light on on dash board do this for 15 secs, 4 or 5 times whilst pushing down on throttle.... Then start cranking over may take 5 mins or so but it will start and kick a load of rubbish out.......

av always wanted to know how to do that thank you :D

saves garage prices, filter only cost like 17 quid the make is fram and was bought from a shop called cargo...

Or instead of sucking the air/fuel out you can also syringe fuel in the bleed screw too. Took me a lot less than 8 mins.

never thought about that, but the canister was full to the brim anyway. Just glad i did it on my first attempt, remember this is my very first diesel car, an tbh im chuffed lol. i know a quicker way for next time, thanx ;)

took it on a round town run today, approx 40 mile and my mpg has gone from 37.4 ish to 46.8 and has crept upto almost 50mpg but a little heavy foot it soon dropped lol......

Changing the fuel filter won't affect your mpg, might help the car run better though if the old one was clogged and restricting flow

explain when its does better now? its only since its had the service its ever being this high.... still the same kind of driving no restricting on the throttle

Last time I did this I had a nightmare getting it started!! Even with a hand priming pump!!

Had to suck the fuel thru the various stages in the end...

What else have you changed?

Changing the air filter for example will affect the mpg as for the same amount of fuel you are using more air = a bigger bang...

Last time I did this I had a nightmare getting it started!! Even with a hand priming pump!!

Had to suck the fuel thru the various stages in the end...

Did you use a genuine filter/seal? Heard a few stories about aftermarket filters being a nightmare for some reason

What else have you changed?

Changing the air filter for example will affect the mpg as for the same amount of fuel you are using more air = a bigger bang...

service, new air filter, oil, oil filter and fuel filter thats it, and its almost increased 10 mpg more

It's certainly a very good increase and your car must be feeling better! Does it feel better to drive?

I'd put It down to the general service and air filter change though.

feels alot more responsive, escpecially on pull off and when the turbo kicks in, before when i thought it was ok, now i know it struggled quite a bit. the fuel filter what was taken out was full of crap and very very badly discoloured, the air filter which was ment be a kind of bright yellow, when taken out was black, literally black with leaves and all kinds of crap in there. the oil and filter was no better. it has a fram air/fuel filter fitted, Mobil 1 oil and k&n oil filter now.....

• 2 years later...

Bringing this old thread up, Im doing mine tommorow (Thursday) and not looking forward to this now haha. I know about priming it but i dont have any so if i do this sucking technique can i get some out to prime the filter with??

Bringing this old thread up, Im doing mine tommorow (Thursday) and not looking forward to this now haha. I know about priming it but i dont have any so if i do this sucking technique can i get some out to prime the filter with??

fill the housing with diesel, insert the new filter in without tightening it and let it soak up, then lift the filter slightly and fill the housing again until its brim. this way you shouldnt have any issues. ive replaced my fuel filter twice and did not cause any air locks doing it this way

If i the only diesel i have is in the car can i get enough through the fuel line to prime the filter with?

not tried that, i used a jerry can and filled some from the station

Hmmmm, i dont have a jerry can for diesel, spose it would be worth while getting one

Well I fudged it. New filter in. But forgot to plug the pipes so I'm pretty sure air is in the system now. Any ideas?

do you have a primer? you could try priming from the outlet that is going to the common rail and try to get fuel through that.

A syringe is what I use with great success. As soon as you remove those pipes fuel gets out and air gets in so you can't plug them.

Unfortunately not. I have sucked diesel from the in pipe and pretty sure the filter container is airless been sucking on that for a while haha.

no, plug them back in and open the little screw thing on the top of the housing and push fuel in there until it will take no more.