Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Olympics

JennyUK

Did anyone watch the opening of the Olympics yesterday? I thought it went really well! :) Lot of people been complaining its a waste of money.

It was pretty good but still a waste of money.

The only people who win are the companies who get the sponsorship rights and G4S who got nearly £300 million for doing bugger all.

Sorry about the chirping but I'm knackered due to pulling too much overtime as all spare staff here have been pinched to support the security for the Olympics. (and I've torn a chest muscle wrestling with drunks that tried to kick my Police Dog last night) :(

What idiots! You don't try to kick a police dog! You both alright?

The dog is fine, she got a couple of bites in but I'm sore (may have a cracked rib but hey ho life goes on).

More war wounds to add to the long list :D

Fookin ell Clive they are idiots ain't they. Then I bet they claim police brutality or something after :mellow: at least she got some nice bites in ^_^

They were warned three times to step away so after that the dog was justified.

She is trained to defend me after all ;)

They were warned three times to step away so after that the dog was justified.

She is trained to defend me after all ;)

Don't even warn em mate just tell her whether you want a leg or a wing ;)

I used to help clean out the RAF Police dogs in the early '60s at RAF North Luffenham a Thor Balistic Missile site in Rutland. The dogs were huge more like small ponies but they got used to us but we darnt touch them.

Jees, glad you's are ok.

And yup I watched it. Thought it was amazing. Especially loved the little laughs too like the Queen with 007, and Mr Bean.

#proudtobebritish

:D

I used to help clean out the RAF Police dogs in the early '60s at RAF North Luffenham a Thor Balistic Missile site in Rutland. The dogs were huge more like small ponies but they got used to us but we darnt touch them.

RAFP dogs always were a bit of a mutant breed.

I used to work alongside them doing nuclear security and the dogs looked like the offspring of the hound of the Baskerville.

Never watched it and don't intend to.

To be perfectly honest, I'm sick to death of governments, monarchs and everybody else trying to shove things down my throat. From royal weddings, through jubilees to the olympics this year... trying to force THEIR brand of joy, happiness, celebration and "pride in being British" on me with MY tax money.

I'm always very suspicious when the powers that be go to such lengths to force us to celebrate, as if trying to distract us from something rather heinous.

So these days I just take a complete aversion when I sense the next hyper-expensive bullshit distraction being concocted by the media, etc.

If I were to see opening ceremony fireworks, etc, I'll be unable not to visualise it as tax money being blown to smithereens... and I resent paying tax at the best of times. All I know is that I'll probably work all my life and my total earnings (let alone my tax) will never be enough to cover even the smallest fraction of this wasteful expenditure.

Cynical, yes. But that's me.

Never watched it and don't intend to.

To be perfectly honest, I'm sick to death of governments, monarchs and everybody else trying to shove things down my throat. From royal weddings, through jubilees to the olympics this year... trying to force THEIR brand of joy, happiness, celebration and "pride in being British" on me with MY tax money.

I'm always very suspicious when the powers the be go to such lengths to force us to celebrate, as if trying to distract us from something rather heinous.

So these days I just take a complete aversion when I sense the next hyper-expensive bullshit distraction being concocted by the media, etc.

If I were to see opening ceremony fireworks, etc, I'll be unable not to visualise is at tax money being blown to smithereens... and I resent paying tax at the best of times. All I know is that I'll probably work all my life and my total earnings (let alone my tax) will never be enough to cover even the smallest fraction of this wasteful expenditure.

Cynical, yes. But that's me.

Seconded!

Well you either accept it and make the best of the situation and enjoy yourself with your friends and family etc, or moan about it and miss out. Personally, I choose the first option.

Well you either accept it and make the best of the situation and enjoy yourself with your friends and family etc, or moan about it and miss out. Personally, I choose the first option.

You say that as if you can choose to enjoy something that you genuinely don't enjoy... which is pretty much the same line the media and/or governments take. It's not really "missing out" if you don't enjoy it in the first place.

Basically just saying "either you like what we like and celebrate the way we want you to celebrate, or you're just a moany old c*** and nobody likes you. Oh, and just to rub salt in your wound - even if you hate it, we're still going to pay for it with your money". Mature. Real mature.

I don't see why we can't just treat the olympics, royal weddings and jubilees the way we treat anything else. If you like it, then choose to engage with it, if you don't like it, then choose not to, and it will be funded by ticket sales, sponsorship deals and viewing figures from the people that do want to engage. But no... rather than having it be nice and civil like that, it's more about creating a sense of hostility towards people who don't want to engage and funding the whole mess with their money, when I'm sure most of them would much rather see it spent elsewhere.

I love to go to concerts, for example, but I don't get in people's faces when they say they don't enjoy the bands I go to see and I certainly don't ask them to subsidise the show for me.

I guess I just don't understand the urge to have EVERYBODY get involved and enjoy it, even if they don't necessarily want to.

I loved the James Bond bit. And rowan atkinson looking that old was scary :(

I loved the James Bond bit. And rowan atkinson looking that old was scary :(

Lol I know. He did his famous expressions perfectly, just like from years back. Shame they didn't use the green mini to speed along the beach though but nevermind

:D

Rowan Atkinson was a great surprise. Made me laugh.

As for the Events background, I hate it. Its caused so much commotion throughout my work, my close pals have been pulled in from holidays, some have returned back from Afghan and a week later sent straight down London with no post tour leave.

Its shocking that we can host an event which we can't even support security wise. Its a joke.

Iv not watched many games though, the ceremony seemed to be an eye opener.

I quite liked parts of it, the Bond / HRH skydiving, GOSH bit and Rowan Atkinson (a legend of british comedy!) I really liked it, then it went a bit dull up until the lighting of the couldron, and I quite like the artistic couldron. Other than that, pfft... I am not too bothered, I will watch the odd thing, and will pay more attention to the paralympics than the olympics themselves, I think they are more deserving of the medals (no disrespect to the able bodied athlets, I just think if you can turn a disability into an athletic ability, then its more value than just a trained average joe).

Otherwise, I agree, I hate my money being wasted on it, and at a time when we as a country could do without it...

Just an update for you here... Few of my lads down on Op Olympics just sent me some pictures of their new home for the next 4 weeks.

558108_10151982230850422_514496201_n.jpg

People may have mixed views about soldiers but we don't deserve half the stuff the government throws at us.

Very plush. Car park?

Not even a 12 by 12 for privacy?

That's disgraceful , having to sleep like that , that picture needs to go to the Press.

Very plush. Car park?

Not even a 12 by 12 for privacy?

Yeah he told me theyre staying here until they find sonewhere to accomodate them, theyre sharing a warehouse changing room for showers and sinks and are eating ration packs or van fork out their own money for food. He said they work 4AM - 8PM sometimes later dependant on shifts and the only priveledge they get is one full day off a week - but they have to stay in the city of London.

Pree i think the lads down there have already done, its not my place as im not there but its absolute shocking and the world doesnt really see the bigger picture.

But all in all... Were soldiers, we train to live outside for days on end. Its our job and we just grizz it out, the lads are doing well down there, say them and the police are getting some busy hours in as you can imagine.

I sympathise with the lads, they came home to rest, not to live like they are in afghanistan!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club