Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help - Mot Failure - Save Or Scrap ?

yoz

Hi all ,

this is my first post here and i wondered if any of you can help me with a question or two ?

I have a 2001 1.6 Focus Zetec which has just failed it's MOT , and failed miserably !

It has full service history up till last year , mainly main dealer and 73,000 on the clock , anyway my question is - scrap or repair ?

it needs ( there's a lot ) -

nearside front brake disc is seriously weakened

offside front brake disc is seriously weakened

offside front brake binding

offside rear brake binding

brake pedal creeps down

offside front track rod end ball joint has excessive play

front brakes imbalanced

offside front brake pipe leaking **dangerous**

all brake pipes excessively corroded , fronts , rears , front to rears at rear

and a new tyre

My local garage said it would be "way over £500" and that i might need the brake calipers done too and that would be another £200 or so . Does the price sound fair and is it worth doing ? the bodywork and interior are in good condition , seems that's all that is !

Id shop around somebody will do it cheaper surely,seems a shame if everything else is ok.?

I'd defo save it, most of the work relates to the front brakes so should clear most of those defects once the pipes, hoses, calipers and pads/disc are changed.

Would be willing to help you out in fife?

Most of the cost is labour.

Get your own parts and and a Haynes manual.

Just be sure to get the brakes tested afterwards.

You can buy brake sets for far less on eBay and track rod ends are a half hour job and a quick tracking alignment test.

Do it your self if you can youll do the lot for under 200 front pads and discs around £60 ish calipers more than likely just need gently squeezing back as it sounds like they have travelled nearly full distance brake pedal will come back up with new pads and is going down because of leak in pipe you can get your brake pipes made up at any decent motor factor just remove the old ones and take them with you track rod end about £15 and your tyre depends what you buy all do able below 200 so i,d say worth doing

Save it, better the devil you know; unless you are planning on getting a much newer car; too many horror stories on older cars bought from dealers that cost sheds full of money to put right.

Thanks everyone for your replies , glad you all think i should save it , was what i'd wanted to do , just didn't know if it was worth it .

If it was major bodywork or engine rebuilds then that would warrant a scrapping but if it's just brakes and track rods then stick with.

BTW, i've definitely owned worse.

Get that offer of help from your fellow fifer, and go to Dalgety bay, buy a roll of kunifer and a bunch of ends.

eBay is great for track rod end, discs and pads. (and a brake pipe flaring tool)

With you doing the donkey work and someone who knows what they're doing, even with stuck discs you'll get it all done in a big day.

Get that offer of help from your fellow fifer, and go to Dalgety bay, buy a roll of kunifer and a bunch of ends.

Ebay is great for track rod end, discs and pads. (and a brake pipe flaring tool)

With you doing the donkey work and someone who knows what they're doing, even with stuck discs you'll get it all done in a big day.

Dalgety bay? Clarik engineering supplies? they have moved to Rosyth now - thats where i buy all my brake pipe, fittings, exhaust clamps etc

If the OP does decide to go down the road of repairing and wants help then fair do's. i use a sykes pickavant flaremaster 2 flaring tool, makes very consistent flares on kunifer and steel (so money saved there for OP)

really if you minus the brakes it doesnt need much done mate ive fixed far worse if i wasnt doing 7day shifts id give you guys a hand as stef said he can help you out

I would repair it as well.

Once the brakes are sorted there are just a few other wear and tear parts to do.

go for it

Jamie

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club