Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2005 - Gem Unit Help

mondolino

Hi everybody,

I am new around here. My car is Ford Focus - 2005, petrol, 1.6 HWDA

I had some electric errors - like wipers not working, lights always on if contact was on, climatronic wont push air in the car, outside temp not showing, central locking not working, and at the ford service they found the GEM not working properly.

I want to know if there is a simple solution to this - such as resetting the GEM (the inside electric module) in front of the passenger chair.

Also if there is no possibility to reset it or something similar i would like to know where i could get some decent prices for this?

Thank you,

Try a breakers yard, just be sure you get one from the same make, model, and year, also try and match any manufacturers serial numbers with the one on your car

• 4 weeks later...

Check if you got water damage comman issue. If u do try cleaning it. Normally happens because of pollen filter casing. But clean the module. Or if u carnt be bothered to do that it is a headache. Just disconnect battery for 20 mins and see if it work if not check the connections to the module. Commenly if a passenger kick the module cable disconnect so try unclipping them and reatraching. By the sound of it the issues you have are from a clip being disconnected.

Mk2 so pollen filter wont cause the damage as its inside the car but the fact the plug can get disconnected is a good point fordvdont usually check failing that did they check the battery type if you had a lead acid one it causes all sorts of misdiagnosed electrical issues battery should be a motorcraft or silver calcium failing that there are plenty gems from eBay and scrappies

You would only have that problem if it was not a petrol. Its a petrol so battery issue shouldnt be. But the only way you can find out is just see the overall condition.

petrols and diesels must have silver calcium batteries not just diesels as its required for the smart charge which all fords use so the battery point is still valid

First things first, check the battery, not just condition, but correct type. A
lead acid battery will not work properly with smart charge, it must be Silver
Calcium! Easy to over look.

I think I might have to check my battery. What does smart charge actually do?