Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Metal - Scraping Noise Before Engine Starts!!

A_Jobson

Guys I really need some advice here...

I have a Ford Fiesta Metal which I've only had since September 2012 with 3500 miles on the clock.

Occasionally when I go to start the engine there is a horrible grinding/scraping noise just before the engine actually starts. Last night the noise was louder, for longer and the engine didn't start until second attempt.

What could this be?

Advice would be much appreciated before its taken to the Ford garage as I have a feeling they will say nothing is wrong as it doesn't happen all the time!!

Little man inside may want out if its a 12 plate get it back to ford and tell them straight

• 2 weeks later...

It's even a 62 plate haha, only had it since September!

Booked in to get looked at tomorrow, have told them I don't want it coming back until it's fixed!

Fingers crossed?

Does anyone know if it will cost anything to be looked at/repaired since its under warranty?

Will keep you updated.

If there is something it will free as its a warranty job but if they don't find anything it may inccur a charge

Thanks for the cost advice!

Also I was thinking the same about the starter!

Read somewhere online that it could be down to clutch dust as the new clutch is worn in, drying out the starter which will just need oiling?

Will post results as I hear back from the garage tomorrow :)

I also think its starter motor related.

Probably just needing removed, a quick spray with some cleaner and refitted. I had an issue like this after removing the starter, gearbox etc to change a clutch on an Ibiza. So after a quick diagnosis i removed the starter, a quick squirt of brake cleaner in about the gear that connects with the flywheel then a squirt of light oil and it was problem solved. the car had 110k miles though...

I have changed quite a few clutches now and never once had a problem with 'clutch dust'

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Had a call from the Ford garage today and it was the starter motor causing all the bother!

A replacement has been ordered and it will be fitted sometime early next week :D

Good to hear they found the problem and best of luck with the new one

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club