Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Using My Car As A Track Day Car?

ben goddard

i know this will sound kinda pathetic. but i want to get into track days.

the problem is i have a 2010 fiesta 1.4...........diesel. not exactly exciting.

but its all i have at the moment, and i have a track within 5 miles of my home.

so rather than buy a purpose car, i wanted to try it out 1st as its not exactly cheap.

so has anyone here used a diesel or known anyone using a diesel as a track day car?

i know it wont be fast but it would just be nice to drive fast (ish) without any cameras watching.

and obviously i would hasty move over if someone in a fiesta ST for example came flying through.

Think Audi won a couple of races with some diesel cars :P

Nothing wrong with any car on track, I've used mine a few times and nothing wrong with it. Got a purpose built car now though which is a decent laugh :P

Dont see why not, are you planning any (power/ performance enhancing) modifications?

Dont see why not, are you planning any (power/ performance enhancing) modifications?

not any plans to. if i take to it i plan on getting a cheap petrol car solely to use for track days that i could modify. and by modify i mean, take everything out except the drivers seat. im no mechanic to be messing with under the bonnet

Nah, got nothing to worry about!

Have you been on track before?

I went on my first one last year with my mate, I took it relatively easy compared to everyone else who were more experienced!

It was just fun finding the limits of the car at your own pace rather than racing everyone else. I am itching to get back on it since though, so could become an expensive habit!

I got a Mitsubishi Colt 1.5 turbo, needed repairing from a Cat D, up to 217bhp :P

I've used my diesel on track days, albeit my previous one.

Get track day insurance. It's invaluable! A good friend of mine stacked his diesel on track and it was game over as he had no insurance and no daily car!

Diesels are great on track, especially if you do have a fast one, a puff of smoke as you overtake someone is great for upsetting people ;)

Don't worry about it being a 1.4, just go out, have fun, be safe! Once u know you enjoy it then u can look at a purpose built car or performance mods to yours.

Factor in fuel and new tyres to the cost of the track day and insurance. Also any helmet hires etc...

Nah, got nothing to worry about!

Have you been on track before?

I went on my first one last year with my mate, I took it relatively easy compared to everyone else who were more experienced!

It was just fun finding the limits of the car at your own pace rather than racing everyone else. I am itching to get back on it since though, so could become an expensive habit!

no i havent been before, so i dont really want to buy a car for something i might not be any good at. to be honest ive not so much an interest in racing anyone, just going fast without having to worry about the old bill

I've used my diesel on track days, albeit my previous one.

Get track day insurance. It's invaluable! A good friend of mine stacked his diesel on track and it was game over as he had no insurance and no daily car!

Diesels are great on track, especially if you do have a fast one, a puff of smoke as you overtake someone is great for upsetting people ;)

Don't worry about it being a 1.4, just go out, have fun, be safe! Once u know you enjoy it then u can look at a purpose built car or performance mods to yours.

Factor in fuel and new tyres to the cost of the track day and insurance. Also any helmet hires etc...

ok, the tyres is something i am unsure of. how are the tyres affected? how many miles roughly would they last driving on a track?

You could wear out a set of tyres in one meeting, depends on how hard you are driving, the type/ how "sticky" the tyres are, etc etc, you can make them last ages though if you are careful

Brakes take a pounding too, its not uncommon to encounter fade or roast your brakes , everything wears out faster than normal - you can burn a lot of fuel too eg - your 30mpg car could do 12mpg at the track

it can be very addictive - once you're hooked you may think nothing of spending ££££££££s - it can be very expensive

After a while you may get bored with how restrictive track days are - and you might want to do some "proper" racing - then it gets really expensive!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club