Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intolerable Clutch Smell- How Do I Remove It?

JamesEncliffe

Had a 200-300 yard uphill reverse to back out of a snowdrift-blocked road. Little clearance, so had to slip the clutch to keep speed down.

Just before the end I became aware of a terrible burning smell and saw slight fumes/smoke. Obviously the clutch had badly overheated.

It works normally, with no grab or slip, but the intolerable smell remains. It comes into the car when stopped at lights etc., and clings to clothes. Under the bonnet it smells very badly. It has not abated after leaving the bonnet up in windy weather for 3 days. Before, there was no significant smell from the engine.

Will I have to have the entire clutch dismantled and burnt parts replaced and everything cleaned out to stop this smell? It gives the impression that weeks will pass before it goes naturally, if it ever does. I need to stop it now!

A sad owner of a 2012 Fiesta Titanium.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

James.

Definitely sounds like you have cooked your clutch plates.

You've probably got a build up of dust in the housing and a strip and clean/clutch replacement may be in order.

I would assume the smell you mean is like a burnt fish odour?

Thanks stoney871 for your reply :) Hard to describe... An acrid burnt smell, somewhat resembling hot brakes. I guess that there is burnt residue around which will emit odour for a long time unless removed. I will have a word with the garage. Not cheap I expect, but I can't stand the smell ! James

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't slip the clutch on a car for any length of time as you are likely to cook it or burn it out completely.

As stoney has said, if it is indeed the clutch you are probably looking at replacement if the smell continues.

• Like 1

Had something similar in a Mondeo after holding it on the clutch on a steep hill, smelt like cooking cabbage, awful. Mine did go after a few days however. I now use the handbrake more often.

• Like 1

I asume the newer fiestas have the hydraulic clutch aswell, its not the easiest thing to control in a fine way, like cable operated clutches, i take it if you really give it some in 3rd or 4th gear from a low speed the clutch doesnt slip? I find it hard to beleive that a 12 month old clutch can be decimated already unless you give it hell. Also check the fluid resovoir this could have gone down a bit if it got that hot as the fluid would have boiled a bit.

I asume the newer fiestas have the hydraulic clutch aswell, its not the easiest thing to control in a fine way, like cable operated clutches, i take it if you really give it some in 3rd or 4th gear from a low speed the clutch doesnt slip? I find it hard to beleive that a 12 month old clutch can be decimated already unless you give it hell. Also check the fluid resovoir this could have gone down a bit if it got that hot as the fluid would have boiled a bit.

it works better if you put it in to 5th at 30 and them floor the accelerator and iv had a car come in with a knackered clutch and it had only done 700 or so miles.

my forfour has a hydraulic clutch and its easy to controls aswell as my mums focus

it works better if you put it in to 5th at 30 and them floor the accelerator and iv had a car come in with a knackered clutch and it had only done 700 or so miles.

my forfour has a hydraulic clutch and its easy to controls aswell as my mums focus

Im not saying its hard, just that its not so easy to make very fine adjustments through feel in the pedal as it is with a cable clutch, and i would like to see the person responsible for ruining a clutch in 700 miles.

i can make 'fine' clutch adjustments. i dont keep the car on bit for very long but if i have to i can keep the car still on a slight incline on the clutch and if it starts to creap forwards then slight movement to the clutch peddle and the car is still once again.

and i never did see the customer who burned the clutch out at 700 miles

i can make 'fine' clutch adjustments. i dont keep the car on bit for very long but if i have to i can keep the car still on a slight incline on the clutch and if it starts to creap forwards then slight movement to the clutch peddle and the car is still once again.

and i never did see the customer who burned the clutch out at 700 miles

Perhaps i have a lead foot, but i definitely found the older fiesta with a cable clutch easier to 'feel' what was going on. The customer who burns a clutch out at 700 miles will be back soon.for his 1400m clutch number 2 :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club