Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty Ignition Switch?

robbo87

Hi, I have a 1997 1.3 encore MK4 and it has become problematic today.

Was working fine until this morning. Then when I got to work, took the key out and the engine was still running, the radio etc all turn off but i have to pretty much stall the car or drive a little bit to cut the engine out.

When I take the key out there is a light on the dashboard that flickers quite fast and I'm assuming that it's the starter switch having a bad connection in the off position?

Am I right? The car has had a problem with the rear wiper which isn't working but I don't think there's a short circuit anywhere that could be causing it.

If it is the ignition switch is it easy enough to replace? The car is coming to the end of it's like I think anyway but i was hoping to get atleast a few more months out of it before replacing it, it's only done about 60,000 miles.

Sorry to double post, but just had another look at the car this morning, and turns out all I need to do to cut the engine once the key is removed is tap on the brake pedal slightly! does that mean anything to anyone?