Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crap Handbrake

jimmygixer

The handbrake on the Focus was always very good, but lately i noticed it has went to !Removed!.

Today i adjusted up the slack on the cable at the handbrake as the cable felt a bit stretched. So now the handbrake feels firm within a couple of clicks, but the braking force is still rubbish, not good as im alwaws parked on a steep slope.

What could this be?

I would be looking for a lazy or sticking caliper or brake cylinder. No point in tightening the handbrake cable until you know everything is free and adjusted correctly first.

Edit - Is it rear discs? or drums?

Agreed, check the rear brakes first, adjust them and then look to the handbrake lever adjustment.

Agreed, check the rear brakes first, adjust them and then look to the handbrake lever adjustment.

Discs on the rear. How can you adjust the brakes?

Discs on the rear. How can you adjust the brakes?

Disc brakes are pretty much self adjusting so i think you need to look for a sticking or lazy caliper to be honest.

Check the rear pads, you will need to use a rewind kit, to wind the caliper back..

Disc brakes are pretty much self adjusting so i think you need to look for a sticking or lazy caliper to be honest.

I will give them a look at and see.

Cheers

I will give them a look at and see.

Cheers

if you can, jack up the rear of the car - preferably both sides at the same time. Ensure the car is in gear first though

Release the handbrake and make sure both wheels spin freely - if they do then fine

Next apply the handbrake until it goes tight as normal and check that both wheels are locked tight

if you can, jack up the rear of the car - preferably both sides at the same time. Ensure the car is in gear first though

Release the handbrake and make sure both wheels spin freely - if they do then fine

Next apply the handbrake until it goes tight as normal and check that both wheels are locked tight

Will do, thanks.

Just waiting on the weather for it :(