Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Damage From Bird Lime

Bladerunner

Hi there,

have any of you had experience of bird lime affecting your paint.

I noticed some rather nasty looking dry bird lime on the rear bumper this morning it must have happened yesterday whilst parked at work, I think it might have been land gulls.

To my disapointment it looks as though it has affected the paint as you can see the outline after a good washing .

I tried Mer polish but it did not shift it.

Anyone any ideas on shifting it or is it too late.

Me thinks the Ford paint is rather soft as it is showing lots of stone chips on the front end.

Cheers

Martin

Tcut colour restorer mate

I keep a spray bottle and cloth's in the car for bird muck, should take it off as soon as you see it.

Autoglym paint renovater should help after using the Tcut, but wash the car first as the will remove any dirt/loose debris :)

Hi fellas, thanks for your reply's.

I will get some Autoglym renovator tomorow and give it a go, and let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Martin.

Bird Lime usually get's into the paint work , when it's warm and the clearcoat expands with heat , the bird lime settles in the expanded clearcoat , when the paint work cools it sit's inside the clearcoat giving the stained effect.

Warming the area first will help to clear some of the stain out as that will expand the paint work and open the pores up again.

Meguiars Ultimate Compaound will help to remove it , always keep a good layer of Wax on the car to help smooth and fill the paintwork.

• Like 1

Hi Paul, I only polished it a month ago using Autoglym high definition wax but it must have worn off due to the dreaded salt on the Mway.

I have started using Autoglym and Maguires products and find them both very good.

It make a lot of sense what you said about heat, it has been much warmer last week, but cool when I washed it yesterday.

My Volvo has never been affected like this but it might have solvent based paint rather than water based or just a tougher laquer.

Thanks for you advice.

Cheers

Martin

You may need to give it a clay bar treatment and may benefit from a DA polish.

I would recommend to all that you use collonite 845 as your last stage of protection it easily lasts 9-12 months I applied some in October to my dads fiesta and during winter I would just snow foam and rinse the cars and when I gave it a full detail a fortnight ago you could tell the wax was still as good as the day it was applied. The beading from the collonite 845 is amazing!

I keep a spray bottle and cloth's in the car for bird muck, should take it off as soon as you see it.

Exactly the same, its more annoying after you've literally just cleaned the car :angry:

I have a patch of bird dropping damage on the passenger door about the size of a 50p, I have tried everything to remove it, but as it's below the top coat all has failed, it was on the car when I, bought it and as the previous owner lived on the coast I bet it was a Gull, the garage was also unable to remove it, so a £300 discount for the paint damage, now waiting for a minor shunt on that door and an insurance respray, sods law that door will lead a protected life. :angry:

Good luck with your attempt to remove the stain. I will follow this thread wit interest just in case some clever Trevor find the answer and brings back the shine. :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club