Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci 2006 Loss Power Turbo Gone Boom Lol

laksboyo

hello there people my first post to the forum just after a bit of advice or anyone else had the same problem, as the title says im gutted to say my turbos gone, ill run u through what i've done.

at first i didnt wanan jump to conclusions cos loss of power could be anythingg

i serviced the call myself about 2-3 months ago changed the oil & filter, air and fuel filter even the pollen filter lol and could feel the difference alot more responsive and just felt alot smoother this was the first service done on the car since i got it in october and its been running fine, been happy with it since i got it i do like my fords :) so this is why im pretty gutted but by the looks of it i've read its a bit of a common problem if turbo failure is my issue but anyway,

and then around 2 weeks ago coming off a round about i put my foot down and just couldnt feel any kick, normally at around 1800 revs i can feel the turbo boost in and give me the extra power aswell as when driving trying to get up to around 60-70 just slow accleration.

i removed the air intake hose from the turbo to check the wheel it spun nicely in its housing although there was oil in there and very slight play up and down

no warning lights on my dash and no excessive smoke i found all sensors are in gd nick from wat i can see apart from the map sensor which i found to be broke in the throttle body so i thought this could be my problem but no luck :( but a new map sensor and re fitted it to no difference made .

i also removed the EGR Valves and cleaned that for this all i done was remove it from the back of the engine and then sparyed out with carb cleaner and the left untill dry then replaced and still no difference

i had a mobile mechanic come out and he hooked up his diagnostic he found errors and deleted them he said he reckon these was from wen the map sensor was broken because they never came back on after restarting the car and for a drive i think the errors were related to low boost pressure and maf sensor also but like i said none came back

so should you have oil in the turbo and is there any other way to find out if its faulty he was gonna take the pipe off and see if it span when the acceleartor was down.

cheers

You can often find oil in the turbo that has come from the engine crankcase breather, and not from the turbo (or the turbo oil seals)itself, if the oil consumption is not exessive, the turbo seals may me ok, also, a little play in the compressor wheel / turbo bearing is ok, lack of boost does not nessesarily indicate the turbo itself is faulty, it could be many things, for example the boost control systems

Looking at the compressor wheel spinning will at least tell you that the turbo spins up ok, but you really need a bosst gauge or similar to tell you how much boost you are producing (you already know its not seized)

Is it a VNT or fixed vane turbo?

hi it can be a small leak on your pressure side. air flows from turbo under pressure down hoses through the Intercooler then to the engine. any small leak will are performance. if you spray washing up liquid and water solution on the hose connections intercooler rev the engine up if there's a leak it will cause bubbles.

You can often find oil in the turbo that has come from the engine crankcase breather, and not from the turbo (or the turbo oil seals)itself, if the oil consumption is not exessive, the turbo seals may me ok, also, a little play in the compressor wheel / turbo bearing is ok, lack of boost does not nessesarily indicate the turbo itself is faulty, it could be many things, for example the boost control systems

Looking at the compressor wheel spinning will at least tell you that the turbo spins up ok, but you really need a bosst gauge or similar to tell you how much boost you are producing (you already know its not seized)

Is it a VNT or fixed vane turbo?

HELlo mate thanks for your reply, i didnt want to jump to the conclusion that its the turbo its just im runnin out of options alot of people have said about the turbo seals i kno that if i have the engine up and i rev the enngine wen i get around to 3000 revs alot of exaust smoke comes out from under the heatshield to thr left of the turbo someone saying i have a leak there but i had this before i lost any power for quite a while too i kknow its probarly not normal tho what could that suggest? (its been failing for a while and now its finally just had enough?)

do u think it would be worth gettin a boost guage to see what i am getting but if i did and found no boost pressure were would i go from there lol sorry if i sound a bit idiotic lol just trying to get everything answerd lol

and as for the turbo i think its a fixed vane turbo im not 100% sure tho its jus the standard turbo installed on 1.6 tdci zetec engines garret turbo

hi it can be a small leak on your pressure side. air flows from turbo under pressure down hoses through the Intercooler then to the engine. any small leak will are performance. if you spray washing up liquid and water solution on the hose connections intercooler rev the engine up if there's a leak it will cause bubbles.

hello thanks for replying aswell bud and wen u say pressure do you mean the side of the turbo under the heatshield i have a cracked part on my engine i think its crankace breather been like this for a while to id like to replace it tho if its simple enough lol ill upload a pic and show you the part i mean

what the guys said above will help

16TDCIengine_zps4e67188b.jpg

yellow arrow cracked there

Turbosoot_zps65a85ac8.jpg

also a photo of my turbo with the exaust soot/!Removed! on it lol

A common place for a crack is in the long metal pipe from the turbo outlet to the intercooler... its the large metal pipe that runs around in front of the turbo heat shield in your pic above. Have a look where it bends down for any cracks as that is a known weakness.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club