Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Easy To Change Accelerator Pedal In Mk3?

alexp999

I know there are cheaper ways of doing it, but I'm seriously considering getting a replacement accelerator pedal for my MK3 Focus and get the replacement pads so I have the "sport pedals" from the Zetec S.

I'm just wondering though, how easy is it to change the pedal?

I have had a look and physically it doesn't look too bad, a couple of nuts holding the assembly on and a clipped cable going in to the top of it. But is it really that easy?

Does the pedal need calibrating or are they plug and play?

If anyone has done it (even on their older Focuses if it is much the same) and can give my any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers.

why not just get covers most people on here have the zetec s likely has covers on it also

On the MK3 at least the pedal is different, the metal pad is built in to the pedal itself.

Only the brake and clutch have changeable pads.

From what I saw on the ford diagram for the zetec s throttle there's only one bolt, but in regards to just changing for the metal cover I would say buy the eBay ones. This is what I did on mine as I just couldn't justify buying the hole set which would of worked out at 15quid each for brake and clutch and about 51quid for the throttle.

Yeah I saw your thread and they don't look too bad.

I'm thinking of trying to pick one up at a breakers yard if I can, I just wasn't sure if any adjustment or calibration has to be done if you change it, or if it is just a simple switch.

It should be plug and play, did see a used one on eBay.

Check this item number 261165823279

Thats the one I found, lol.

Reckon it is worth a go for £32?

From the pic it shows 2 bolt holes but ford diagrams show 1 new bolt required.

I had a look earlier and mine definetly has two nuts in those positions.

Can I not just reuse the nuts?

Should be able to as they didnt specify there nylock nuts.

Well I have ordered it, so we shall see.

I found a thread via google which showed taking it off is just the two screws and unclipping the wiring.

The quote I got was £85 for a new genuine ford one, so if it works I have saved a bit. Also got some DMBs coming and mud flaps - so much for me not doing anything to this car, lol.

Once you get started its hard to stop, I've got some plans but can't doing anything till after my wedding.

Got the pedal through on Wednesday, started to have a look at it and noticed that the metal pedal looked like it was just a metal plate attached onto the normal plastic pedal. By attached it basically has tabs of metal bent round to hold it on. I decided as it was from a breakers yard and not a brand new part I would see if I could get it off to use on my existing pedal.

After a bit of persuasion I managed to lift the tabs on one side and pop it off - low and behold a normal looking plastic pedal underneath. The metal pedal is simply a metal plate, with a foam backing and metal tabs wrapped round to hold it in place on a normal pedal. Quite why they need a different part number for the whole pedal I don't know, you would think they could just specify the plate as a separate part.

The next 24 hours in my spare time I managed to secure it on my existing pedal, having to try just about every tool I had (even borrowing some from work!). I wanted to fix the plate on without having to unbolt or disconnect the existing pedal, but it is really hard to get tools in with enough clamping pressure into the footwell as the metal tabs are incredibly stiff.

Long and short of it though is that I now have a Zetec S accelerator pedal, without ever having to unbolt or disconnect my existing one and a spare pedal I can stick back on eBay to recover some of the costs - now I am just waiting for the brake/clutch pads to come through from fordpartsuk.

Brake and clutch pads arrived today but I'm finding it near impossible to fit them.

Any tips?

th e mk2 uses similar plates only advice is persuasion they take some fiddling to get on i took the rubber off the pedal then attatched the plates loosely then fitted it on the pedal and bent the tabs

45mins longer and I got there eventually.

Ended up putting them on as much as possible then putting a mirror in the footwell and using a small flat head screw driver to prise the rubber flaps all the way round the edge.

They were never that tough on my fiesta. Still worth it in the end though, looks much better - will try and post some pics soon.

Bt ur well pleased, now u mention about the throttle I did have a feel around an st in the show room when i was looking for the parts last year and felt the tabs but they were on very tight, suppose just another con from ford but also make me feel happier that my eBay covers are not far from the oe then.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club