Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real Sharkfin Aerial Fitted To Mk1 Focus. Advice?

Chris Powell

Okay guys. Need some advice.

I just fitted an actual working amplified shark fin aerial to my MK1 focus (Not the fake decoration ones)

So drilled the hole just in front of the bulkhead and got it done up as tight as possible. I used clear silicone in around the hole and applied a thin bead underneath the aerial just to completely seal it.

However, the aerial doesn't sit 100% with the curve of the roof like I hoped but still looks good. There are just tiny 2-4mm gaps on the sides along the middle of the aerial.

I filled these with more clear silicone (stupidly) and now it looks hideous.

Any advice how I can sort this? Is there any way I can seal it but keep the bodywork looking tidy? :D

Need to pick your brains :P

If it were me, go find a shop or company that sells rubber seals in sheet form. We have some at my company but it may be a bit hard for your application. Cut it out to suit the shape, them bolt it down. What you might get is it expanding further out the sections where it is tight. This is where you'll have to be crafty with a scalpel and trim it to suit. We do a similar technique when fitting sensors to equipment that has an odd profile. So long as there is enough give in the rubber for the low parts and enough expansion in the high, you'll be alright.

to be honest you shouldnt have done it at all the sharkfin as explained on here before doesnt fit and no matter what you do will look totally hideous the reason the ford one sits with the roof is water will enter those tiny gaps which will in turn leak into the car causing damp and electrical issues nitrile wont work it needs to expand and contract with the weather so it will need to be a gasket as said above that you can adapt to fit and the original ford base will have to stay in place unless you fit a rubber grommet in its place http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Sheet-3mm-Smooth-Finish-Neoprene-Black-300mm-x-300mm-Gasket-Matting-/111094755818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19ddc371ea

Well when I bought the car, the hole was already there. The previous owner had an old Nokia hands free kit installed with its own aerial. So I thought I may as well shove an aerial in there instead of getting it filled :)

I reckon with a bit of love and advice I can get it looking nice :)

It's different. I've never seen it done before - maybe there's a reason for that but no harm in trying :D

Just bought 300mm x 300mm sheet of the gasket stuff :)

Will let you know how it goes with pictures of course :D :D

Yeah, something like that will do it, do need to make sure it's squishable. I would be inclined to still seal it with gasket seal or something... 70mph, rain, wind, water will find a way.

squishable... thats a nice word lol

squishable is definitely a nice word ;) They should shove it in the dictionary ;)

I did tidy up the silicone around it though and found a matte black liquid gasket seal stuff. Might try that first and see how it looks before I shove the whole new rubber sheet in there :)

No harm in trying :) Should look good when i'm done with it :P

I thought you had drilled the hole my first thought was are you mad lol black rtv silicone would help its designed for cars and caravans that way with the rubber you can be assured alls water tight

Pictures?

Here's some pictures I took after work today in the gorgeous British June weather :D

post-43248-0-57085400-1372368911_thumb.j

post-43248-0-63587500-1372368928_thumb.j

post-43248-0-77097900-1372368944_thumb.j

post-43248-0-28884200-1372368961_thumb.j

Nice!

Btw, using the mobile site, went to go hit the thumbs up to like it, and instead it gives a thumbs down?!

• Like 1

Nice!

Btw, using the mobile site, went to go hit the thumbs up to like it, and instead it gives a thumbs down?!

Thanks dude :) Different eh? ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club