Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hesitation, Mil, Smoke.....

J@mes

We've recently picked up a 2005 1.6 TDCI on 90K and while it performed fine on the test drive it now seems to be throwing up a few problems.

It seems to hesitate or stumble at lowish revs when maintaining speed, occasionally smokes heavily on over-run and after a longish journey the MIL came on but switched itself off over night.

The MPG doesn't seem great either, its used 1/8th of a tank to do 30 miles today, mostly "A-road" 50-60mph driving with only 1 or 2 miles in town.

The wife is also complaining that it stinks of soot.

I have a fault code reader coming in the post so I'll see what that comes up with, but can anyone throw any light on the issues?

Seems to be talk of DPF Regeneration/fluid, EGR Valves, oil catch tanks, injectors, turbos and just about every other part of the fueling/exhaust system and I'm not quite sure where to start looking!

We bouhgt it from a used car dealership (the ropiest dealer I have ever bought a car from, I must admit) and used a credit card to pay for it.

But I don't really want to go down the taking it back/fighting with the seller if it's a cheap or simple enough fix.

Looking forward to the replies - thanks!

:driving:

Hello - you are probably already aware that the 1.6 is a PSA engine, (Pug/ Citroen) some earler ones dont have DPFs, the later ones/ some others do, (depending which model)

Whichever one you have, the EGR valve can be blanked (solid stainless steel plate approx £5 online- there are fitting guides on here) this circumvents potential problems with the EGR valve/ system, and cuts the carbon/ waste going into the inlet

A breather catchtank can be fitted to help stop oily residue going into the engine intake, but this is more expensive than an EGR plate, and probably less significant

You can put the plate on on its own, but ideally, you should clean out the inlet manifold as well

A good service is a good idea, a fresh (genuine or pattern) air filter can significantly improve running/ performance/ economy

Frequent oil changes are a must, and prevents many problems, a genuine Ford or quality(eg Bosch) oil fillter is recommended, same with the fuel filter

Allowing the turbo to stop spinning (tickover for approx 30secs/ 1 minite) before you cut the engine, especially when the engine is hot or after a hard run, will help protect the turbo (bearings) (along with the above frequent oil changes)

A good thrash now and again helps, "italian tune up" - a proper one redlining it through the gears etc helps to clean out the DPF/ etc

Finally, it is possible to get the DPF phisically removed, electronically deleted, and a remap done, at the same time in the same place, this will prevent any further problems with the DPF (if one is fitted), and improve the performance and economy

Thanks for the information!

Just to add, I have read the fault code tonight and it is P2002 which appears to be the DPF is not working effeciently.

I guess I need to try cleaning it out with a long high rev run to start, but if that doesn't solve it I guess a new DPF is required?

Is that right?

Think it will be going straight back to the seller before I Shell out for a new DPF if that is the case!

Thanks

If it's on the original DPF then it's probably reached the end of its life. 90K is pretty good mileage for one but don't be too scared at the cost of replacement, prices have fallen a lot recently and you can get a new one for £190 here. Obviously you will have to pay a bit more for fitting on top of that but it's going to be way cheaper than a dealer.

Personally i would not have a DPF on my car, Evolution chips do a phisical DPF removal, electronic DPF delete and remap for around £350 -

http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Diesel_Particulate_Filter_Removal_DPF.html

Of course, in this case the OP has to sort out the problems with the seller, 1st

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club